Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blue Slide - Old Mardyke Cork

• 27-01-2023 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

When I was a child and the mardyke was called Adventure Land, there was a big blue slide that was a near vertical drop that most children in Cork were afraid of at the time.

Does anyone have any pictures of this slide? In my head it was 50 feet high, but I’m sure it was closer to 10 feet haha.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The only big slide I recall was in the savoy when it was briefly an entertainment arcade.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I recall it well! I worked in a place like Adventure Land when I was a teenager and can confirm the big vertical slide was only about 10 ft, but still scary as bejaysis the first 100 times. After a while of working there though, after hours we’d be going down the slides headfirst and all.

I don’t have any pictures of adventure land because didn’t parents have to stay in an outside area? I’m sure there’s some in my parents house of birthday parties there but more the eating area. I also definitely used have some videos that were taken when you had a birthday party there - wonder if they are still around or if they were taped over!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 fesilghanimdalsharari

Lol, funny post, can't help you with anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

I remember the blue slide, thanks for bring up that memory!

I had my birthday party there. I think it was before the Coliseum existed but then the Coliseum came along which I think might have been more exciting with quasar and the better choice for a birthday party.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭opti76

same as that but blue obviously ....

• Advertisement

Oh man that brought back a serious sense memory! That was at the front of the play area, right? I think the blue one was further back and definitely higher up - you'd have to climb right to the top to have a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

amazing post! Some memories!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

Did the Mardyke have a shite rollercoaster thing in it too? I remember really wanting to have a go on it but I was too small. My sister did but hurt her head and bawled crying which meant they closed it for other kids that day, she essentially ruined it for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Oh my god you're after flagging a memory that I thought I never had or at least thought I had only dreamed 😂...... for some reason was this a rocket ship on this rollercoaster or was it some type of capsule thing and used to go between rooms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Anyone I ask if they remember that roller-coaster thing says I'm making it up, glad other people remember it! It was a capsule thing suspended from a rail, the drop was over by the blue slide, a good bit taller than it too.

• Advertisement

Oh wow, that's sparking a very vague memory alright! I'm not sure if I was ever on it - maybe I was too young or small?

I know that once upon a time, my parents had a couple of VHS tapes of birthday parties of mine at Adventureland, but I don't know if they would have featured the inside at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

What years are we talking here? From my vague memory at the time I wasn't allowed to go on it and I think it may have been around 1996/1997 time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I think I was on it around 1995/6 and it burnt down shortly after.

Edit: This link says the fire was '98 so 96/97 might be more accurate.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/the-mardyke-entertainment-complex_birthday-cork-entertainment-activity-6984125598176571392-jhZW?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop

I asked around and two people remembered the rollercoaster thing. They described it as a rocket shape that you lay flat in. Both remembered it due to incurring injuries on it 😅. I reckon it must have cost extra or something because I’m pretty sure I was never on it!

Advertisement