Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog

• 28-01-2023 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

My terrior dog was attacked by a badger while I was out walking with him in my local field he went into the bushes I heard a lot of howling he eventually came out but his poor nose was bitten very badly,its very swollen this only happened about an hour ago would anyone have any suggestions for what to do until I get him to a vet in morning

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,456 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Is the nose punctured or lacerated (open cut) ? Can you describe the wound(s) in more detail? Did he bleed much?

Firstly, IANAV.

First flush the area well with clean bottled water if you have it, mains tap water if not.

If you have any creams like Savlon (gentler I would think) or Germaline, you could apply some. Gently pat the area to dry it a bit first if applying a cream. Quick contacts when doing this to minimise his pain during this.

If necessary you could make a temporary cone from cardboard and fit that so he can't get at the area with his paws before you get him seen to tomorrow.

If you know any farmers, they might be a good shout for advice.

Is his breathing affected by the swelling or wound?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,456 ✭✭✭✭Esel

There may be a 24-hour clinic somewhere. Try to find one and call them.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

This is a great thing OP, I always have a bottle at home. Works very well.

Advertisement