Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bermuda - What’s it like to live there?

Options
  • 28-01-2023 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Very early days but may have an opportunity to move to Bermuda.

Thought I had met my fair share of seasoned expats over the years, but I don’t know anyone who has ever lived there. Not in a position to ask too many questions around me at the moment. 

Hoping someone here may live / have lived there or is close to someone who has? Would appreciate any insights into life, especially with young children.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I remember one guy way back who went on holiday there and forgot to come back! He sent us.a fax saying he hand resigned. He is an accountant and from the membership directory I see he is still there over three decades later, so I guess it must be OK.

I have known a few people who went to life on the Isle of Man and Jersey and they all left because islands are very small and you quickly have seen it all. I have lived in Switzerland for over three decades and I have seen a lot of people come and go and the reality is that the novelty wares of all places after a while and then it comes down to the usual stuff - the job, the work colleagues, the salary, the public services, the food, the culture shock and all the other comfort needs we have.

Regardless of where you go you have a choice to make between living the expat life or living like a local. The expat life is almost always an expensive one and even big salaries get eaten up. And many expats are surprised at how little the actually save as a result. My advice to people is to consider what it would be like to live as a local - are you comfortable with the culture, the food, the public services and so on, because that is what you'll have to deal with day in and day out.

Good luck with your decision and if you do go give it at least 18 months before you make up your mind if it is right for you or not because it will take you at least that long to experience the whole range of what life has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Always a good idea to take the opportunity to travel and experience a different life and culture, especially if an employer will do all the heavy lifting for you administratively etc etc.

If you can get a decent school for the kids you'll be grand. Great experience for them too.

Edit ...

Housing might be an issue, if you don't currently have a house, if/when you do return though.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Shiok

I got on a long flight and completely forgot I had posted my question!! Logging back in now for first time.

All of your comments on expat life and moving somewhere new resonate with me - have lived in Singapore for over a decade.

Advertisement