Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online coaching query

Options
  • 28-01-2023 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hey guys,

I really need advice! So, I was overweight back in 2018- ate less, moved more and lost 5stone over a 2 year period myself!

I perhaps gained maybe 10lbs back very slowly over 2 years which I didn’t really view as a biggie as I maintained my weight around a nice number. However while I was smaller and long distance running/doing cardio, I wasn't getting much tone or definition and after much consideration, decided to go with a well known online coach thinking I’d not only get smaller and more toned but stronger too.

Thing is, I’ve been with them nearly 12 weeks and not seeing much results.

1. my weight has gone up! I’m up 7lbs and I feel it. I’m feeling very stodgy and uncomfortable. Protein is up but I literally feel like I’ve had a bowel obstruction for the last 2 months and can see my lower stomach is getting bigger. My coach keeps telling me stop looking at the scales which is ridiculous because I wanted to lose the stubborn fat and her other clients are dropping KGs constantly.
    2. the exercises are great and I’ve “progressively” overloaded but I’m floored after them and don’t get much cardio in as I’m exhausted and I’ve a very demanding job too.
    3. Its very expensive per month

I will put my hand up and admit I’ve gone over calories by maybe 200-300 here and there but I’m also exercising and the solid stomach and poor bowel action is really worrying!

Plus I’m seeing their other clients fantastic results and the KGs they are dropping is unreal!

Please help! It’s expensive and I don’t want to see my weight increase. I haven’t been this weight in 3 years and it’s depressing!

just for the record, I don’t mind investing in my health and paying the price but when I’m not seeing results…..

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

It might be worth taking a look at how regularly you are over whatever your recommended daily calorie intake is. Then look at it from a weekly point of view - are you in a net calorie surplus that's accounting for your weight gain?

If you're progressively overloading on movements that's good. You don't mention if you're enjoying the sessions, learning anything, like the coach etc. which could all be valid reasons to continue or not continue, depending.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bellie1

When I started weight training I gained a few kgs quickly and it's water/glycogen so maybe that's what alot of yours is too.And if you're constipated, would definitely make a difference to weight. Is your stomach hard when you poke it or flabby? If you could sort the sluggish bowels then maybe you'd feel happier. As black sheep said, really need to consider if you're enjoying the sessions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 samolu

This things come up often,a dear friend tried a free keto plan and the results are really encouraging. I am not into weight loss but I have a few folks around that are really religious about it. I can drop a link to the keto if you want to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Cill94

I do both online coach and in-person coaching, and the most fundamental key to it working is having an open and transparent coach-client relationship.

A good coach will ensure they understand your goals and will explain why they have given you a specific plan for that. But it's also on you to provide feedback about what you are experiencing, concerns you may have etc.

If you've expressed these concerns and it's fallen on deaf ears.. well, you're not obligated to stay with that person.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ladygrace9

just to answer above-

i find due to the weight sessions (x4 times a week) I am exhausted and tired afterwards and fall short of the steps required!

However, I am pushing myself this week with cardio pw and determined to get steps in.

I feel like when I joined first, my calories were more than I expected and protein was up! my appetite went up as a result after a few weeks and now they’ve been cut so it’s hard to keep to it at times.

Stomach is solid. Is that the protein intake causing that? Anyone experience that? One girl I know experienced bowel problems and solid stomach and stopped her high protein for a few days and feels so much better?

Yeah I’m concerned I won’t lie. It’s grand for someone to say the scales doesn’t matter but bar seeing some tone in the shoulders, im not seeing much progress or results…

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Are you supposed to be in a calorie deficit at this point in your program or not?

Do you know what your calorie intake is at the moment, relative to what your prescribed amount of calories to be taking in are?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

my weight has gone up! I’m up 7lbs and I feel it. I’m feeling very stodgy and uncomfortable. Protein is up but I literally feel like I’ve had a bowel obstruction for the last 2 months and can see my lower stomach is getting bigger. My coach keeps telling me stop looking at the scales which is ridiculous because I wanted to lose the stubborn fat and her other clients are dropping KGs constantly.

the exercises are great and I’ve “progressively” overloaded but I’m floored after them and don’t get much cardio in as I’m exhausted and I’ve a very demanding job too.

Its very expensive per month

1. Are you getting enough fibre? High protein without enough fat and fibre will back you up.
    2. I'm not sure what the issue is with number 2. You should be tired after a workout, using energy is kinda the point.
    3. What is the cost, and how many sessions does that include?

The biggest issue here will be calories. What's you'll daily calorie intake. If you are not sticking to the calories you won't get the expected results. But small misses should only result in small variations.

What did you eat yesterday. List everything, be 100% honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭swededmonkey

I've had the same bowel issues when dieting. Psylium husk in the morning is great for getting things moving

Advertisement