Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government's secret plan to block repayment of illegal nursing home charges

Options
  • 29-01-2023 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The top-secret files confirm the State faced the prospect of a €12bn liability in compensation for hundreds of thousands of families who were wrongly charged for the care of their loved ones over a 30-year period. Documents obtained reveal how successive senior government leaders acted in unison to thwart repayments worth billions to those wrongly charged.

They did this by backing a covert legal strategy designed to cover up the fact that the State knew it could not win hundreds of cases – some of which are still outstanding – taken by families affected by the scandal. As a result of this strategy, compensation was denied to anyone who did not have the resources to fight legal cases. The rest of the cases were all quietly settled by the State.

This could be big as it involves current government ministers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Surprised there hasn't been a thread for this made yet. Pretty shocking stuff here, story released this morning

Lots of current government officials in this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

Suspect this story will grow legs over the next few days. So many of our top politicians going back years conspiring against the Irish population. It will be difficult for many of them to stay in politics after these revelations. It should finally put to bed any naive notions that our top politicians are there to look after the needs of Irish citizens. Also, the cross party element of this is extremely disturbing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Duplicate threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Floppybits

And this on top of the exposure of ordinary citizens paying for corporations energy bills which was brought in by Eamonn Ryan in during that Cowen disaster of a government. All this just exposes how FFG do not have best interests of the people of the country in their hearts. Its all about selling everything and stuffing their own pockets while ripping us all off and yet folks still say but but but look at SF, pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

Corrupt to the very core.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Anyone who has had the misfortune having to go to “the state” looking for anything knows how they operate

At a minimum this story should be a real eye opener for those who are lucky enough to have never dealt with them

but if this is as bad as it looks it could be the story that rocks the foundation of the Republic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I wonder how this week's opinion poll on the political parties would have looked if people knew about this when they were polled.

I'm pretty sure FG would be lower than the 21% they got here. FF probably would have suffered too.

Red C / Sunday Business Post 
    SF: 33% (+2) 
    FG: 21% (-3) 
    FF: 15% (nc) 
    SD: 6% (+2) 
    LP: 4% (nc) 
    GP: 4% (-1) 
    PBP-S: 3% (nc) 
    AÚ: 2% (nc) 
    I/O: 11% (nc) 
    January 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

This should bring down the government,end off.fg ,ff,labour ,the greens don’t have the interest of the citizens of this country at heart.screw them to the ground but plenty for themselves and every fecker that comes here illegally.

now from reading bits and pieces of the story it’s very plain to see how the Supreme Court judge Seamus Woulfe had a neck like a jockeys backside and didn’t resign due to golfgate.he knew where the bodies were buried

but hey look over there at a few posters for paschal or some evangelical lunatic outside some school in the midlands

Yes, there should be a general election over this. Any politician that knew about this should never be involved in politics again but if they want to brazen it out they should at least let the electorate decide if they should get another chance.

• Advertisement

I'm sure it wasn't a conspiracy, just a meeting of minds. Nothing wrong with that either - is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pnott

100% the Dáil should be dissolved this week and an election called after a slew of resignations. This will be an interesting week. It will be difficult for the government to weasel their way out of this however they will try I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭BrianD3

They'll try to muddle through this by pointing to 2011 being the middle of the financial crisis and how "difficult decisions were necessary to protect the taxpayer and state's finances in unprecedented times".

Also, seeing as Kenny, Gilmore, Reilly and co. are all long gone from the Dail, expect some of "that was before my time" type excuses plus the old reliable learning of lessons.

Can't see the likes of Woulfe or other senior civil servants caught up in this throwing themselves under the bus like stone did for Donohue. Varadkar and Martin are up to their necks in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

I look forward to the response from the usual government supporters on here to see how they play their hand. No post from any of the usual suspects in the 8 hours this thread is up. Must be some serious brainstorming going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

The fire blankets will be out in the morning I’m sure.

Any politician who comes out tomorrow to try explain, rationalise or justify this can be written off as pure scum. Resignations and apologies only will be an acceptable response.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pnott

Sinn Féin probably. They seem to be their go to anytime there is a scandal.

But they can't on this. This is multiple FF and FG led governments, nothing at all to do with SF with Martin and Varadkar up to their eyeballs in this. I'm sure they have their press gang looking for something to use as deflection. The home truths about the cronyism and corruption at the core of FF and FG are being laid bare. I don't know any decent person could still support them

• Advertisement

This is the final chance for the Greens. It's not as if I hold out any hope for an ethical response from them, but when they say "nothing to see here" - as I expect them to do - any floating support they have left will desert them.

Ditto Fianna Fáil. They gave Paschal a pass over the last couple of weeks, but that won't work this time around. In fact IMO they may even come out of this worse off than FG - precisely because FG is all about interests, it's a coalition of various well-off groups whose only real policy is to look after themselves, and they have noone else to represent them. FF will still have some older voters who expect their party to look after them, and I can see them deserting FF in large numbers after this. They may not go anywhere else, they may just give up on politics altogether, and cause a final realignment in Irish politics by removing FF from the equation.

The thing is that FF are up to their eyeballs in this as well. There is nowhere for them to hide. Notice how quiet the FFG supporters are in this. Not a comment from any of them on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

No fear of any of the Ministers with form for leaking doing so here.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Forget the usual suspects on here. Just savour the moment tomorrow morning when opening up the IT, Indo and RTE to see their "independent" coverage :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I hear that Mick Stone donated the van to carry the plan around, so maybe they could get him to resign again.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

The lack of posts is very telling !! All the major news outlets will spend tomorrow covering the adventures of Enoch Burke. And this will soon be forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Ah the old drag your citizens through the courts before they give up or you're forced to settle routine. I'm sure they'll be delighted that a lot of the people affected by this have died by now.

Holy crap!

Give it a day or two for this one to cook. This affects a LOT of households.

Honestly this is something I could see bringing down the govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

Hopefully. It's being getting closer and closer to tipping point recently and this as you say affects a lot of households so with some luck heads will roll.

• Advertisement

• so they want us to fund compensation to people who bought shite concrete blocks

They’re happy to pay out for people who bought gaffs not up to fire codes and other safety codes to have them sorted

we’re paying out the nose for Ukrainian refugees and other refugees

but paying back people who were charged illegally for public nursing home care and those who should have been in public care but wasn’t able to afford was something that for nearly 12 years (and counting if they had their way here) they buried in order to make sure as few people as possible got back what was owed to them?

Fcuk me sideways.

Advertisement