Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomastown Road / Park - good place to live

Options
  • 29-01-2023 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Would love to hear from anyone living in or near to Thomastown road area (specifically near the park area) of Glenageary? Myself and husband looking at a purchasing a family home near there and would love to hear from others: is it safe (beside a park); is there a community atmosphere; how bad is traffic at commuter times; is this area in catchement area for the nearby schools in Dalkey / Killiney / Dun Laoighre; anything else to be aware of?! Seems like it’s location is next to many lovely villages like Glasthule / Dun Laoighre / Dalkey but it doesn’t seem as though Glenageary itself has a village / epicentre (I could be wrong here, as not overly familiar with the area) - should that be a consideration or is it well serviced enough by the nearby villages?!

We are currently apartment living in city centre and neither of us are from dublin so we’re not super familiar with the dublin suburbs but would love to be so close to the ocean and have more of a community feel to bring up our family.

I did spot this thread however it’s almost 6 years old now https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057777621/thomastown-road-glenageary-any-opinions-on-the-area

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Glenageary doesnt have a village.

Traffic at the roundabout is normally fairly bad at school times.

Dalkey is probably the "nicest" vilage nearby, but the dart is close enough (10/15 mins walk away) to get you into town, blackrock, or Bray is you wanted to go there. Glasthule is also near enough, probably 20 mins walk.

Area is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 SilvaMuppet

Yeah, area is settled and quiet.

You've at least 3 primary schools very close by including an educate together one...although getting into your preferred one may be easier said than done. Loads of girls secondary schools nearby (fee paying) , possibly more limited on choice for guys (clonkeen is not fee paying and is decent, johnstown is a feeder school for clonkeen) and a couple of coed community colleges.

if you need to use the M50 , its real close but traffic is grim at rush hour on either end of the day. (a large part of that is work on the wyatville road which seems to be going on forever) but even when that calms down the area by teh roundabout will always be poor at rushour.

Plenty of clubs within striking distance (gaa, football, rugby, tennis, badminton, hockey etc)

decent sea swimming although killiney beach while nice is a bit stoney :) Thomastown is on the 7/7a bus route which goes all teh way into town. as noted above, easy walk to nearest dart station also.

Community spirit, TBH, that is what you make it i guess....the default (from my experience) is not much. but i don't get as involved locally. I think if you were involved in local clubs, schools etc you might get more out of it on that side of things. But (am open to correction) in general people mind their business and do their own thing.

As noted above, Dalkey is probably the best option for nearby villages. Good pubs and restaurants and its usually got a nice vibe to it. Monkstown is also decent in fairness to it. Glasthule is ok..but i think a bit quiet.

Only word to the wise i'd have is you are going to see a ton more people in and around this area. Big development in cherrywood that is only partially finished and developers have been buying up land all along the wyatville road up to the roundabout and knocking down houses to put apartments up.... hard to see that trend stopping. So gonna be a lot more people in teh area (but i think thats happening all over).

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Laura R

Thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed opinion! Re the cherrywood development - with more people in the area I would assume that would mean, over time, more amenities for the area which would be a good thing. Other than more traffic on roads, are there any other downsides I’m not thinking of re a more densely populated area?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 SilvaMuppet

Yeah, there are definitely ameneties going in up in cherrywood that will have a positive impact locally. There are some schools going in (i think 2 primary and 1 secondary) so that should take some of the pressure off the other schools in the area. There are 3 parks going in (one large one and 2 smaller ones). THere are proper shopping facilities goign up there also.

I think there are all weather pitches and tennis courts up there too (already built).... so touch wood it works out.

You'd think other businesses ,ameneties and clubs would prosper or have a reason to setup with the larger population base locally.

With respect to downsides outside of traffic (and traffic will be grim when the place is fully populated.). Probably just the kind of issues you might have in more centrally located areas. Limited on street parking as everyone and their grown up kids have cars. Tricky to get your kids into school of choice. Up in thomastown i wonder if they have people parking outside of their houses on a saturday morning (there is kids GAA training and matches on the pitches). Might not be something that you'd get too worked up about.. might not be that big a deal....first world complaint at worst ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AySeeDoubleYeh

It's a great area with both Monkstown and Dalkey villages very close, and all of Super Value, Aldi, Lidl and Tesco nearby. Green areas, mountains and the sea within striking distance. You'd also have a Woodies and a Power City around the corner, which could be very handy in a new home.

No village on the doorstep but more than enough pros to make up for that con imo - unless you can afford to buy in the likes of Monkstown/Dalkey directly you can't do too much better in this part of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Nonie24

Great place to live,we love it.Near to sea and Killiney Hill. lots of lovely villages all around.Good schools,Loreto secondary school particularly good.Lovely safe and quiet area.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭redved

Lived on Thomastown road for three years on the Avondale road side. To be honest we moved because of the traffic but we were up near the roundabout, pm me if you want more details

• Registered Users Posts: 34,920 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've some family who have been living in a house on Thomastown road since they were built, they're lovely big houses.

The road that was put in a few years back though really changed the area. There was a long green between all the houses and only had light residential traffic. Completely changed now with the new road.

It's still a lovely area but the traffic might be a bit much for some.

Advertisement