Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watersports center proposed for old waterworks on Dyke Rd

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

They're looking to put one in beside the Engineering building in NUIG too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

It could be really interesting if they'd clean and utilize the Terryland/Sandy river. i think they'd need to clear to the west of the waterworks so you can access the corrib without crossing a busy road. it'd add something to Terryland forest park if they could clear to the east as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Council probably will take the opportunity to upgrade the dog-leg bridge there as well. wonder where the parking will be.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

I think the bridge is protected structure as part of the old waterworks. I don't really see what upgrades would be necessary there? A huge amount of the traffic on that road is already rat-runners. I don't see any need to encourage more rat running by facilitating faster driving down that road. It's part of the new 30 km/h zone proposal in any case so the aim should surely be for slower speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

you're right, I just checked on the council's GIS mapping, all the waterways and associated structures are protected (RPS 8501), never knew that. anyway, I just thought they'd remove the dog-leg from the road during the waterworks upgrade but agree with you that it's an effective traffic calming structure as it is, though some nutters get a thrill in shooting through it, have witnessed that loads when I cycled that route.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭lisabiscuit

Oh wow, that would be a fantastic addition to the area. I often hoped they would add a jettie type structure like they have on the Dangan side down around there. Fingers crossed this happens! That road is a disaster now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭rustyfrog

The university have planning approval for a watersports center directly across the river from this. Great to see the waterways getting well used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭cena

Can we get an ice rink built in galway next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭lisabiscuit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭rustyfrog

Yea that's the university one across the river

• Advertisement
Advertisement