Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a stables

Options
  • 29-01-2023 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

Building a stables - maybe 3 12x12 stables for keeping some connemara. Have them as part of acres.

Anyone have any pics of ones they built? Not too concerned about cosmetics but something practical and long lasting. Would breezeblocks be an option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Is this for a self build stables?

Have you checked these ones out, based outside Belfast if you are anywhere nearby?

Stable Matters | Facebook

Building costs are sky high at the minute. Can you put up a general lean-to shed and compartmentalise it for the horses? That way if the horses go you'll still have a usable shed either for machinery or other type of livestock.

I know very little about horses - is there any reason why they are usually housed in wooden pens/stables?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭irishguy19772

Thanks for the advice. Yeah might think about a lean to.

Was quoted 3500 for 3x wooden cubicles 12x12 from that crowd up north. Will need to price other materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭emaherx

My brother bought one of them kits, 2 stables plus tack room. I wouldn't recommend it as a self build option, the panels are far too heavy to maneuver by hand, even using the tractor loader I think the whole operation was too awkward and dangerous. 3 of us put it together and they are fine stables when up but it would have been easier and safer to just build a shed from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Why do you need stables?

connemaras can live out year round. Indeed it’s better for them.

Advertisement