Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifes 40th

• 30-01-2023 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1 boardsman23

Hello,

Its my wifes 40th in May and i'm looking to take her away to a nice hotel in Ireland for the weekend.

I'm wondering has anyone any ideas on where would be the best. We've stayed in the Europe, Powerscourt, G hotel, etc so we are looking for something slightly different.

Something with good food, great spa area thats not the usual 5 star which you click on.

Based in Cork so anywhere in Leinster / Munster / Connaught.

We've been told about the Ice Hotel in Mayo.

Anyway looking forward to seeing the replies.

Thanks a mill.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,448 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've heard great things about Monart in Wexford. Never been, don't think it'd be remotely my kind of thing, but I know plenty who rave about it. It seems to be the last word in spa destinations, if that's what you're particularly looking for.

Ashford Castle is magnificent - I was there about 10 years ago before it changed hands and was renovated, so I don't know what the atmosphere is like in it now, it was terribly genteel (slightly shabby around the edges) chic back then.

Ballynahinch Castle in Connemara was one of my favourite hotels ever - doesn't have a spa, so that may rule it out - but the surroundings, the atmosphere, the scenery, the walks, the building itself (more a country house than a castle, despite the name) were amazing, and the food was out of this world. It's also changed hands since I was there, though, so I can't guarantee it's the same either.

I've also heard fabulous things about Harvey's Point and Lough Eske Castle in Donegal, but they may be a bit far for you.

• Wineport Lodge near Athlone comes to mind, not that I have been able to quite afford to splash out on it.

I’m going to make an unusual suggestion that seems family/kids only, but an Executive Lodge at Center Parcs might be one to consider. You get a lovely private timber house in the woods, spa baths in some bedrooms, a private secluded hot tub, sauna, steam room, barbecue area to the rear. Log fire for cosiness. All surrounded by woods. it’s absolute bliss.

MacCreddin Village in Wicklow is another possibility that is a bit different, listed in Blue Book. You could take a look through other entries there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

I'd second Brooklodge in McCreddin Village too. It's old world but with fabulous culinary options and there is a lovely spa.

However, if it was my birthday, I'd love Monart, as mentioned by previous poster. I've never been either but have only heard good things (apart from the price!)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Ashford castle is great - even the lodge is fine.

Intercontinental is dublin is pretty nice -have stayed a few times.

Marker is nice (though not my cup of tea).

Dylan is nice and funky and near baggot street so plenty of dinner and bar options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭baldbear

Did the Cliff house for our honeymoon for a couple of nights . Great place but the price is eye watering. Had it booked for herselfs 40th but COVID put a stop to that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Killashee House in Kildare is nice. There's a few in Athlone that are nice as well, Glasson House, and there's a smaller one across the water with nice views over the lake. Depends what she's into. Would she prefer to be in Kerry/Conamara and able to go out for a nice walk, or in a place with a nice spa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭coleen

Ballyseede Castle near Tralee lovely old world hotel. Then day trips to Dingle Killarney .

Parknasilla hotel near Kenmare another fab option

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MaterSZ

Ireland is a great place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Ronney

Have a look at Irelands Blue book (google it). some great places but prices go from €€ to €€€€

If a spa is a requisite Cashal Palace is lovely.

If not and you are looking for something a bit different Carrig house in Kerry is really nice and homely

Advertisement