Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am looking for martial artists who would be interested in participating in my research

Options
  • 30-01-2023 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone,

I am currently enrolled in the 3rd year of a three-year sports therapy program at Portobello, in which I would have to develop an independent research project in order to complete my undergraduate degree course. The purpose of this research is to analyze the incidence and severity of injuries to the lower extremities caused by full contact martial arts. In addition, it will analyze the potential risk factors responsible for these injuries. The survey would require martial artists to fill out an online survey that should not take more than ten minutes to complete. It is critical that you read the information sheet below before participating in the survey, it contains all the information you need to know before you begin your participation in the survey. If you would like to take part, please send me a message so I can send you a link to a Google form if you are interested.

Participant Information Sheet 

Title of study :

Determining the Incidence rates and severity of lower extremity injuries in full contact martial arts

Introduction:

I would like to invite you to take part in a research study. Before you make a decision, it is important that you understand why the research is being done and what would be involved for you should you decide to partake. Please take time to read the following information carefully. Feel free to ask questions if anything you read is not clear or if you would like more information. Take some time to think about the commitment and how you feel before you decide whether or not to take part. 

WHO I AM AND WHAT THIS STUDY IS ABOUT? 

A 3rd year sports therapy student at Portobello, I am currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree program in which I am required to develop an independent research project. Aims of this research are to determine the incidence and severity of injuries to the lower extremity in full contact martial arts, as well as the potential risk factors associated with them.

WHAT WILL TAKING PART INVOLVE? 

In order to participate, you will need to complete an online survey questionnaire. The questionnaire will include questions regarding age, sex, primary martial art style, training experience, and fighter status (amateur or professional). Training hours per week, types of injuries, repeated injuries, time off from training, medical attention sought, and setting. Survey completion should not take more than 10 minutes.

WHY HAVE YOU BEEN INVITED TO TAKE PART?

As a competitor in full contact martial arts, you have been invited to participate in this study. Participants must be over 18 and have training and competition experience of at least one year for this study

DO YOU HAVE TO TAKE PART? 

As part of this study, you are free to decide whether or not you wish to participate. I will then ask you to sign a consent form to demonstrate that you agree to participate. You may withdraw from the study at any time without giving any reason.

WHAT ARE THE POSSIBLE RISKS AND BENEFITS OF TAKING PART? 

Even though every effort has been made to minimize the possibility of this occurring, there is a possibility that some of the questions may cause distress. Should this happen, I will provide you with my contact information and my supervisor, who can be reached to discuss the situation. Although participating in this study will not directly benefit you, the information you provide will greatly contribute to my thesis regarding and understanding lower extremity injuries in full contact martial arts.

WILL TAKING PART BE CONFIDENTIAL? 

A researcher undertaking the study and the study supervisor will be given access to all information throughout the study; contact information is provided at the end of this information sheet. Survey data and documents that do not include any anonymised data, such as signed consent forms, will be stored safely as part of the research process. When the research studies are completed, the data will be disposed of appropriately as confidential waste. 

HOW WILL INFORMATION YOU PROVIDE BE RECORDED, STORED AND PROTECTED? 

Signed consent forms and questionnaires will be retained in Portobello, all data will be stored securely on encrypted devices or drives. And all data stored will be in compliance with GDPR, and only specified personnel should have access to this information until after my degree has been conferred and according to the requirements of the Ethics Committee Code of Ethics. Data shall not be kept for longer than 1yr after submission of the Research study Under freedom of information legalisation, you are entitled to access the information you have provided at any time

WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO THE RESULTS OF THE STUDY? 

In terms of research plans, Data from all questionaires will be transcribed and analyzed to determine any correlations. I only intend to submit my dissertation, which will be reviewed by my supervisor and myself only. After the study has been completed, a copy of it can be sent to all participants if they wish to read it.

I appreciate your interest in participating in this study

Comments

Advertisement