Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motor tax

• 31-01-2023 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,

I've got myself in a pickle I have come out of a DV situation. I left my car and everything behind. I didn't know you must declare it off the road if not in use. Its left at the old house garage the workers next door wanted to use it for parts I just wanted to get put of there. So I'm never planning to use that car again it's still in my name as far as I know, I didn't declare it off the road and was never able to tax it as wasn't able to get insurance so I never used it.

I want to get a new car and tax and insure it straight away once the registration is in my name. Will the tax arrears of my old vehicle show up under my name ? Or is it just related to the old vehicle registration?

I've calculated I'd owe 5500 tax but it wasn't in use its probably just scrap now I didn't realise I had to declare it off the road i just needed to get out if the old situation I was in.

What should I do ?

Thank you 😊

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved to a forum that's related to the topic instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭User1998

Forget about your old car just tax & insure your new car. Tax arrears are not transferrable

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rstanley

Thank you for your reply. I was afraid once they put my name and address I to the system to tax new car the arrears fr the old car will show up but from what I've gathered it's related to the old car not the person right ?

Thanks again

Do a change of ownership on the old car if you want - it'll remove the tax liabilities

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rstanley

The problem is I do not have the log book?

Will the arrears show up when trying to tax new car?

• Advertisement

Get a new VLC then...

No, they won't show up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

The tax is for your old vehicle, it's not your tax it's the old car's tax and it won't be an issue for you unless you or someone else drives it. (or if it's parked on a public road)

Advertisement