Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting married in registry office in Dublin

Options
  • 31-01-2023 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

My partner and I plan to have a civil ceremony in Spain for our wedding but before we do, we're going to have a legal marriage here in Ireland, in the registry office in Dublin. We'd prefer it to be just the two of us for the registry office but I think we need to have 2 witnesses do we? Also, does anyone know if you can say your own vows at the registry office? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭zg3409

You need witnesses for legal reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

You have to have 2 witnesses. There is a set script you have to say but I imagine you can add in your own bits too. We did the legal bit separately too before our "wedding" but just stuck to the legal script. It was still very feckin emotional!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

Yes you need 2 witnesses, but they can be anyone. Strangers off the street if you want. You can add in your own vows. We were originally planning ours in the registry office but changed plans with covid. You have the legal script, you can add in your own vows, have up to 2 readings by any guests and you can arrange your own music to have up to 3 songs played - one when entering, one when siging the docs and one when leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Fiona

Can I ask did you have music during the ceremony?

Would it be terrible without any music?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭iniscealtra

You have to have two witnesses. We did the same. Got married at ten in the morning on a weekday. Went for brunch with our two witnesses after. Regular clothes - no fuss. Siad the vows they gave us. Once the legal stuff was done it just made finding a venue a lot simpler. Didn’t need an official celebrant . A friend did it. Much simpler.

• Advertisement

If it is just the two of you and witnesses I would say it may be awkward with music as you will have to wait for a song to end before the vows and the signing literally takes a second so it would nearly take longer to line music up on your phone or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I was a witness for someone not too long ago, and it couldn't quite be "stranger off the street", as when the couple was signing up 3 months in advance (or whatever), they had to provide my name and DOB and a few details about the witnesses at that stage.

Ah perfect this is just what I wanted to hear as it will just be two people, in and out job done lol

I hoped my reply wouldn't offend you! Our celebrant was lovely, she was really kind and knew it was just a quick one as we were having our ceremony the following day. We didn't do rings or anything either.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

You can change that on the day, same with celebrant. There is a section to be filled in for any changes on the official document. If one of you witnesses is sick/cant make it you have to be able to change it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

As a Peace Commissioner, I have witnessed a couple of weddings for strangers who were doing exactly what you describe. The guards will have lists if you want a PC.

Ah I might push the boat and do the rings.... spoil ourselves lol

Advertisement