Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are your greens

• 31-01-2023 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭

Just curious as to what the greens are like in clubs, with the new pesticide and fertilizer laws coming. wont mention the club I'm in but we have Fusarium and moss infiltrating the greens. which make them look awful at the moment.

how are yours these days.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭coillcam

Ours are fine for the time of year. Soft but in good nick. The only issue is one or two greens that need some sand to bed down. Again that's normal maintenance. Pitch marks aren't too bad and most members seem to be taking care of them. Although that could just be less footwall in winter.

Haven't noticed anything outbreaks of moss/fusariam. Although on a couple of away days I did spot it elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

ours have all undergone an transformation to new types of grasses which will apparently fair better under regulation changes

greens are great, well kept and maintained.... only difference i've found is that are rolling slower now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Sandy. Had been in excellent condition all winter.

Greens, aprons, fairways all getting the treatment this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭benny79

Sh*t Are green keeper hasn't a clue! Pole forked last Oct and didnt put enough sand in we still have big holes on greens and it February now ffs. Serious sh*t happening over it plus the fees have gone up too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,626 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Our guys got their timing bang on it seems this year. Greens have been in great condition relatively speaking over the winter, even with some of the heavy rain we've had.

Good Greens guy in place, very passionate, not sure we'll manage to hold on to him though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Worryingly good!

Can't believe the condition the course is in tbh. Relatively new head Greenkeeper (~2years) and it seems he's really on top of things.

We have a lot of traffic over winter, the winter league is a huge event, and the course was overused most winters imo. He seems not to be bowing to any pressure and keeping it shut when it needs to be. The signs are on it as well. It's really not worth ruining it for the sake of a few soggy weekends in the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Sandy mess currently, but were almost summer standard into late December.

Had heard people talking about the changing EU directives and it's impact. Couldn't stop the crows from making worm casts into craters in the fairways, but greens have not been adversely effected so far, the opposite in fact.

We also have a lot of play through the winter and glad the course has been closed when it should be. I'd be one for closing it down every winter for a fortnight to give the ground a proper rest.

Probably impractical as it the two week shutdown was followed by two weeks of frost there'd be bedlam.

Only gripe I have is that we've pole-forked the last two years in weeks of severe frost. Takes the greens ages to come back then. But I guess there's pressure not to do it when greens are good and sufficient daylight has large numbers playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Greens at St. Margaret's are fantastic at present. Best I've ever seen them. Fast and hardly a blemish on any of them. Kudos to the green keeping staff.

Post edited by billy3sheets on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭benny79

I played Rathsallagh the bank holiday and couldnt get over how good the greens were! Seriously not one blemish or pitch mark rolling so true.. Seriously considering joining...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I've only played St. Margaret's once. That was last summer and it was pristine when I was there too. Lovely track. I'll have to get back there again soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭coillcam

Update. Recently forked and heavily sanded. It'll pay dividends soon enough. A few heavy showers would go down a treat.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ours have been forked recently, so bit the best, but hope they'll get back to like they were in 2021.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Links

Greens are 1st Class. They would generally be their best in winter.

Advertisement