Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

driving other cars

Options
  • 31-01-2023 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

I am covered by my comp insurance policy to drive other cars , my insurance on my car says named driver only.

What happens if I drive another car that has named driver only?

Which takes precedence?

Thankyalll

yeah I know I could phone them.. but , i suspect it is an embarrassingly easy.obvious answer, so anon internets

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If you are the cause of an accident, your policy picks up the damage/injury to the other policy. Unless you have comprehensive driving of other cars (which is different to a comprehensive insurance policy), the owner of the car you are driving needs to claim under his policy for his damage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭zg3409

You need permission of other owner to drive car. Beware many policies only cover third party damage so if you were t their car they get nooney for their damaged car. I recommend reading all the fine print such as over 25 only, car vans not included, car must have it's own valid policy, must be roadworthy as in gave valid NCT etc. There are lots of little catches to get them out if claims. If driving friends car regularly get added to their policy as fully comprehensive, may be very little extra. Often the policies have driving other cars only for short term like when your car is broken etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭cml387

Unfortunately "I read it on the internet" will seldom convince a guard.

Advertisement