Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting New Build Garden Redone

Options
  • 31-01-2023 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Small new build garden, about 21 square metres, in Dublin near the coast, that we bought 1 year ago. Similar story to what I have read on other threads in this forum. Soil isn’t in great shape and grass growth over the year has been patchy with some spots baked hard in good weather and poor drainage in wet weather.

From digging around I see we have about 5cm to 7cm of ‘OK’ soil at the minute. From reading here and other places I realise I’m at nothing tipping away at this in bits myself if we want a solution this year. It looks very poor at the minute. We’d really like to green it up.

We’d like to grow much denser grass in the centre, and around the edges plant climbers to about 2m tall to cover walls, and various shrubs etc. to max 1m tall. We don’t mind spending some money if we can get it sorted out. There is a side entrance to the house but we can’t get any machinery in.

I think we need to raise the garden to where we have 15cm to 20cm of top soil? (Including mixing in some organic matter, fertilizing maybe etc.)

Assuming we want to raise it by 15cm of topsoil we’d need about 5 tons of top soil?

Shouldn't be a problem getting that in a side entrance?

Any thoughts, or am I missing anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There are mini diggers that will go through a domestic door, so one should go down the side of the house.

It is going to need to be dug over, so the 5cm of topsoil will be turned, but that's not a problem. You might consider turning in a load of manure or compost especially round the edges, then add the topsoil. I haven't done the sums but 5 tons doesn't sound a lot for an area 7m x 7m (or equivalent). Don't let anyone away with just putting soil onto the existing surface, it needs a bit of investigation to see why it is waterlogged/dried out. It could be compacted from machinery, full of rubbish or in need of drainage, or just digging, but you need to check it out.

If you put in some low stone walls around the edges of the garden and made raised beds for the climbers and shrubs you could put soil where it is needed. The grass needs good drainage and top soil but it doesn't need as much depth of soil as the shrubs.

Be aware that when (if) you have filled up your raised beds with soil it will gradually settle so don't be in too much of a rush to plant, you will probably have to top it up, or you could over fill to start with.

How much sun does it get?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Chranchel

Thanks for the advice. 

What you mention about someone just putting soil on top is a concern alright. Had a guy looking at it who suggested putting roll out lawn turf down. But didn't mention digging around or turning the existing soil.

Sun Exposure is poor. North West with part pretty much always in shade. 

From digging around myself I've pulled out large stones, didn't find rubbish thankfully. The dry compacted part I think is caused by a mix of poor soil, only 5cm deep, above what seems to be just stones, quite rocky ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If part of your garden is always in shade, save yourself a lot of grief and don't put grass there. It will be a constant battle with poor growth and moss. Maybe consider a mix of gravel and paving with lots of planters - you could turn it into a gorgeous fern and shade flowers garden with pots with colourful summer flowers in the parts that do get some sun.

Anyone who suggest putting roll out turf in a mostly shaded garden with soil issues is not a gardener. There are far too many who will give you an instant hit of a beautiful garden but in 12 or even 6 months time when they are long gone with the money you will see the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

As looksee said I'd be going for a mix of gravel and patio stone . Personally feel small grass areas aren't worth the hassle.

Google shade gardens and japanese gravel gardens you'll be spoiled with options.

Don't be afraid to put hight in the garden. Some of the best small gardens I've seen have 3/4 meter shrubs/trees/bamboo in them .

Advertisement