Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for an open, poor soil garden

Options
  • 31-01-2023 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi, I have a garden space with a combination of all things difficult! It is a sloped, exposed site with poor clay soils. Have planted camellias, rhododendron and azaleas about 4 years ago. They really have had very little growth since then. Hydrangea are doing OK and lillies came quite well. Have planted a lot of other things that failed!

Just looking for some ideas for a fast growing shrub to give good ground cover. Any ideas would be appreciated 😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Did you check the soil type before putting in camellias and rhododendrons in? They both prefer acid to neutral soil and clay suggests that is not the case. There is one camellia (the common very early spring red/pink one) that doesn't mind what kind of soil, but the others are mostly acid loving. At least feed them with sequestered iron, but better yet, prepare a site for them that is more suited to their preference, though you might be better to replace them with hydrangeas.

What to plant there? Roses would be happy and ground cover roses might suit. Persicaria bistorta will cover ground with great enthusiasm, as will euphorbia (it has sap that can irritate skin, but I have never found that a problem) and day lilies.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭speckledhen

Thanks for the reply, that's given me some great ideas. Acidic soils are fairly typical around here, but haven't tested it. Will look into the iron and the plant suggestions. Was reading that Berberis is Hardy and can survive in most conditions too

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ttnov77

Irish native wildflower meadow will thrive in there ;)

Advertisement