Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage provider screw up?

• 31-01-2023 5:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭

I paid some lumpsum into mortgage recently, but still has some 100k outstanding, and today I have received a surprise letter from them saying I've "redeemed my mortgage account" and that I need to tell them where to send the deeds!!!

Isn't it a massive screw up from their end?

Half tempted to go ahead and reply to see if they will send out the deeds. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Humans make errors.

As you know it's an error, it actually is a criminal offense to try and take advantage of that error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I doubt they would release the deeds without some other checks etc. I got a letter from my lender one time after a lump sum repayment showing a much lower balance than was actually due which they subsequently corrected quite quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭daheff

getting the deeds back does not stop the amount you owe them. All it means is its much more difficult for the bank to enforce your mortgage if you default as they no longer have hold of the title deeds.

I'd be tempted to play dumb and give them an answer. See what they say, but keep paying the mortgage.

Advertisement