Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ronan McNally 12 Year Ban

Options
  • 31-01-2023 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

I think this is disgraceful.

WP Mullin's State Man was entered in a Grade 3 handicap in Cheltenham and went on to win 3 Grade 1 hurdles after. This I think is much worse that what Ronan did bit Willie didn't get pulled up on what he did. I wonder why.

Personally haven't backed a horse since State Man won in Punchestown.

I've been put off for life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭SonOfGoat

They're just doing it reassure the public racing is legit. In reality it's going on every single day by all trainers. If you don't have a bit of genuine info, may aswell pack in gambling because it would be a guessing game. Again, in reality, horses are rarely run on true form unfortunately, including in big races.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Day to day racing you have to take form with a pinch of Salt but you would think Cheltenham is when everyone is performing to their levels but chucking a Grade 1 horse into a Grade 3 handicap is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭SonOfGoat

Not necessarily unfortunately. Times have changed since the exchange arrived and a lot to be made in laying too, especially at the likes of Cheltenham, Aintree, Derby etc...

A hot pot might get beat at Cheltenham, connections make a packet from the lay. Horse is by far superior to what beat it... They then head to Aintree and bolt in, connections and trainer/bookies make money, public don't bat an eyelid and round and round it goes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

How is it Willie Mullins fault that the UK handicapper gave State Man a lenient handicap mark that the trainer exploited?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭howareyakid

Awful difference in the form history of State Man and Dreal Deal when you have a look through their books! One of them was finishing down the field in everything from a 7f maiden to a 2m 5f handicap “never a factor” for the best part of a year… and it wasn’t Willie Mullins’ horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Lol. State Man was with Willie for 2 runs before the County, in the first one he fell after being off the track almost 2 years, in the other one he won by 12L and the handicapper gave him 141 which under rated him.

What exactly do you think Willie did wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Racing is a sport built on gambling. If confidence is lost. The sport is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Would love to see more of this, plenty of trainers stop horses, a lot of time you can tell from drifts before the off. An element of PR about this but Mc Nally did a lot wrong too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

You'd wonder if McNally was a Mullins, and Emmet was a McNally.......

Tubs Mullins has a ring to it actually

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

McNally was absolutely blatant and that's why he got done but every single trainer has done this including all the big boys but McNally isn't in the club so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Shaney Boy

Looks like they have gone over the top here. Not a fan of McNally but I hope he wins an appeal. It's disproportionate relative to what others seem to get away with. How many times have we heard pundits saying the horse will improve when going handicapping. Speaking of handicapping. trying to align what happens in Ireland, UK and France is nigh impossible. I think the French imports should run 3 times in Ireland and UK before getting a rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭Xander10

I've no problem with it being a tough ban. The more the better.

I see Elliott has drawn some unwanted attention again. Possible use of banned substance.

Advertisement