Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have ethernet ports in every room in the newly built house.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Complete overkill - Most new TVs/Laptops no longer come with physical Ethernet/Network ports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I would say slight overkill but why not, during the build is the time for it and it'll cost next to nothing.

I've never seen a TV without eth, the issue with TVs is that they still don't have gig ports, top of the range and all but that has to improve. Yes, newer laptops are a right pain but I'd think most working from home would have a dock which will have an eth port (not the USB dongles, I hate them!).

Look, I fully get your point and if it was a retro fitting job, I'd have a more measured approach but you can never have too many eth ports. . . .you can have too few though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭munsterfan2

There is better latency using wired ethernet vs wireless. Important for the Call Of Duty teenagers in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Theres just something sweeter about being on Ethernet compared to wireless, unless you've used it its hard to describe, I dont just mean latency either. Seeing your downloads max out every time is pretty sweet aswell if you torrent a lot.

Also agree the ability to ethernet straight to a tv/satbox is very important these days too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

And for gaming. I have the PS wired to the router and especially since I got fibre my pings to my favourite game servers are just short of amazing. When you play stuff like battlefront its all about the pings and every little helps.

Plus wireless doesn't like wood & concrete. My upstairs home office in the other corner of the house would be struggling with Wifi alone. Always nice to be wired even if only to install a wifi repeater.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 umburgiz

So i checked everywhere and i couldn't anything that looked like a switch or loose ethernet cables. The only place i didn't check was the attic. I noticed that there was an extra coax socket but in female version and the usual ethernet port beside it.

The face plate at the front door had just a bunch of cables behind it

Outside where the electric meter is underneath it there are 2 white boxes one has virgin logo on it dunno if that's relevant. And the face plate near the front door would be directly behind the two boxes.

Btw the sockets in other rooms only have the male coax port and ethernet

• Registered Users Posts: 6 umburgiz

The bigger one is in the sitting room and the smaller one is in all the other rooms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,739 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The reality is, there's really little need for a wired connection to every room. Maybe the TV and any offices.

It'd be far more advantageous to think of where you want to put your WAPs and invest in decent WAPs. The vast majority of devices you will be putting on your network will be IoT/Smartphones/Tablets/Laptops etc which are all Wireless first these days. You need decent wireless coverage in all areas of the house.

In fairness I appreciate you can use a wired connection in a room to set up WAP on but it's usually better have these in the ceiling etc.

A PoE switch, decent router and two or three WAPs would set you back about 700 euros max (ubiquiti dream machine a snail poe switch from them and three of their entry level WAPS would give you a massive amount of good solid coverage and a few wired connections to your home office/TV etc would make it a very solid implementation.

Think of the coax scenario in the OPs post. Pretty much redundant nowadays in a lot of houses.

I appreciate that when you are building new running these things isn't such a big expense but I'd be more interested in investing in the kit at the end of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

If the wires are not terminated, who woud you recommend to do this task, a network enginner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

A crimping kit from Amazon and a few youtube videos tbh. Maybe a sparks would take on an easy cabling nixer????

I'm a network engineer but that means firewalls, routing protocols, security policies etc. I've never run/terminated a cable in my professional life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I just have phone on mobile data and everything else wired

Don't use tablets or laptops and don't like WiFi much

I can see how the waps setup covers all bases but probably cos I'm spark I prefer ethernet , just plug everything in and they work at full speed everytime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The face plate at the front door had just a bunch of cables behind it

Outside where the electric meter is underneath it there are 2 white boxes one has virgin logo on it dunno if that's relevant. And the face plate near the front door would be directly behind the two boxes.

Looks like a co-ax and ethernet cable, possibly from the 2 small enclosures outside, open the enclosures and check.

Guessing the coax is from the VM box and the ethernet from the eircom box. Looped there in the hall for easy access, for future VM router/eir phone line. Both continue to the attic or other central location where all the internal comms cables converge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

So i checked everywhere and i couldn't anything that looked like a switch or loose ethernet cables. The only place i didn't check was the attic. I noticed that there was an extra coax socket but in female version and the usual ethernet port beside it.

Modular faceplate with modular inserts. An unscreened TV co-ax socket - female (normally used with a terrestrial TV aerial feed) and an unscreened F-connector (normally used for satellite connections and probably cable too). Unscreened is crap, should have been screened at the rear to prevent inward and outward interference, hadn't come across that type before.

Also RG45 Cat5e modular insert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,157 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I was lucky that our developer put a mini network rack in the house with patch panels for coax , Ethernet and speaker cables. In every other new build house I’ve been in the owner has been left with a box of unterminated cables in a plant room or attic. If you can find a young electrician he should be able to terminate for you .

imo if I was building I’d have it set up same as mine again Ethernet to every room and multiple to main ent room. Ethernet also allows hdbaset for centralised media av devices etc and personally I’d rather a wired non gigabit connection to a tv over wireless for streaming etc ( and i have a full UniFi set up with multiple aps and a udm pro etc etc )

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Wi Fi is wonderful if you are not in an apartment complex or similar, a number of years ago now, a friend of mine was having problems with a laptop up on the third floor of his house, and at the time, I had a software package that ran on my laptop, and showed the local WiFi signals, with the SSID, channel number and related details

I went up to his house, and ran a scan. My laptop found 17 WiFi signals, and his was about 12th down the list in terms of strength and quality, as his router was on the ground floor and suurrounded by the blockwork of the stair way.

The solution for him was to move the router up on to the second floor, which meant cabling his phone line, and changing the channel that his router was on, to get away from the default channel that was being used by a significant number of the other service providers.

Even with 5 Gb now available, WiFi can be problematic in high density estates, there's only so many frequencies (channels ) available, and if some of the routers are in high places, or close to windows, they can have effects over a much wider area than expected,

At home here, (70Ft long dormer bungalow) I've ended up putting in a second WiFi point indoors to ensure coverage for things like phones, and then there's a TPlink over the power system for the garage to ensure that the incoming power monitor can get reliable signal, the WiFi just can't get that far, and it's too much hassle to run ethernet cabling underground to the garage. Almost all the TV's and related devices are Ethernet wired.

If you have the option to have wired, go for it, we get way better reliability from things like Sky boxes, and other similar devices using wires, rather than the WiFi, especially when streaming content to the TV, very rare to get buffering issues with direct connections.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Seems to be a mixed bag

10-10-20 was making the point about wired versus mesh/waps on another thread

Advertisement