Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordinary households charged a % for big businesses electricity, for 12 years!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

Large users need to be able to stay in business so they can pay small consumers, who in turn can then pay their energy bills.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Floppybits

The way Ireland of FFG works, screw the least well off to make the rich richer.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Buy electric cars that you charge at home, do away with solid fuels and use electric heat pumps instead. ELECTRIC ELECTRIC ELECTRIC! And when we overcharge you for years and years, we’ll give you a fraction of it back.

Yey, Electric!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Silly pleb, privatization solves everything! Government is corrupt! something something

• Registered Users Posts: 19,229 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Oh electric will become the new oil industry that's for sure. If and when we see a complete turn over to EV's, you can bet your life we'll also see the price of electricity rise and rise too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭penno

Eamon Ryan due on KC, Newstalk now in a while. Wonder will this be mentioned!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Ryan says the eSB needs to pay 50 euto back.

The same guy who told them to secretly charge it in in the first pla!ce!

Useless polticians and media.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/it-must-be-paid-back-row-erupts-as-esb-drags-heels-over-50-refund-to-households-42324004.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,229 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

^

Mmmmm...this 50 Euro mantra is going to be put about until it solidifies in people's heads and that's all they'll be able to associate this whole farce with. Meanwhile and actual investigation into what should really be paid back to the consumer, and why this was allowed happen in the first place, will be conveniently forgotten about.

It shouldn't be forgotten that Eamonn Ryan sanctioned this sneakily and now he is out trying to defend it by saying he did it to save jobs. When people were having extra taxes like the USC imposed on them Ryan thought it would be a good idea to allow Electricity providers charge us more as well and not tell anyone. If he was so sure it was a good thing to do why did he do it in a sneaky underhanded way and now when it is exposed claims it was to save jobs. This man is dangerous to the people of Ireland and should be removed from office and never allowed anywhere near government again. He does nothing but impose hardships on the people of this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭howiya

Just reading the latest in the indo on this.

It seems we're only going to be refunded the extra 100m that was charged incorrectly and not the other 600m that was subvented to large companies to reduce their bills at the expense of householders. This appears to be where the €50 is coming from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

yea exactly. how or why did they suddenly decide that they'll only refund 1/6th of what we actually were overcharged? Its shocking behaviour and it looks like theyll get away with it too. I thought this would be a much bigger story but the sound of €50 seems enough for people to move on....I still want to know how and why this happened behind our backs?? people should be outraged tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

Sue them for fraud…at the end of the day that’s what it is!

Instead of the money (x6), I'll take the equivalent in the kWh (at the time) they charged me for and did not provide...

At today's rates having the kWh from a decade ago would be much better

The reason why it happened was because Eamonn Ryan thought it would save jobs by having an already put upon public supplementing Big Business energy bills. If it was such a good idea why did he do it in a sneaky underhanded way? This man should be removed from office, the most dangerous person to the Irish public in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Journo doesnt have a clue.

What are they doing...just copying press releases?

Errors?!?!?!

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2023/01/31/families-to-get-energy-bill-refund/

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

So electricity here is uncompetitive, so instead of reducing the price for all, they have the public subsidise businesses.

It reminds me of when they "discovered" our rates of personal taxation were too high, so to attract foreign high-flyers, they reduced income tax rates for all created a special reduced rate of tax (SARP) especially for foreign executives relocating to Ireland, not available to the rest of us poor fools.

I'm sure anybody being allowed by the state to keep 48% of their overtime/bonus and using that 48% to assist businesses with their electricity bills will have a warm fuzzy feeling.

Don't know if this article was already posted.

"Residentail energy customers subventing business ‘right call’, says Eamon Ryan"

"Asked if the businesses that had benefited should repay the money, Mr Ryan said: “That would be an impossible task. You’d be going back 10 years and those companies might not even exist any more.”

What an absolute cop out!

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2023/02/01/residential-energy-customers-subventing-business-right-call-says-eamon-ryan/

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That's capitalism, baby. File for bankruptcy, change shell companies, rebrand! "Dip [broccoli] in chocolate and say it has zero calories" - that's what Kellyanne Conway said to the Daily Show on an old, old, ollllld piece about the Republicans being forced to rebrand after getting a "shellacking" in this or that election. All it is is cop outs. The people who ripped the ratepayer off in this regard are still around, the people are mostly the same even if the corporations or the brands aren't.

So my advice to this Mr Ryan would be to increase the rate on business sectors who have benefitted from the incident - for a period of 12 years, and pass the savings on to the domestic ratepayers. Since it would be such a herculean task to figure out what to pay back with interest and adj. for inflation..

edit sorry not broccoli - a **** sandwich: https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2018/05/200264/samantha-bee-kellyanne-conway-daily-show

Post edited by Overheal on

If you owed a company money they'd come after you till they get it. When i read that article it put a bad taste in my mouth that he could be so brazen and outspoken for this. You're right the people who ran these businesses are still around. The companies themselves probably were disbanded for that reason so "They'd be no comeback" It wouldn't be an impossible task Eamon Ryan should go back to sleep. I hope people are keeping tabs on all this stuff when it comes to the general election.

I said above Eamonn Ryan is the most dangerous person to the people of the state. It is extraordinary that he did this and now comes out with the I did it for your own good defense. The sooner him and green zealots are removed from office and made extinct the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cafflingwunts

At this point, I think we need a military coup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Packrat

Agreed 100%

but I doubt those lads could take over a Lidl not to mind the country.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

That's why they have ran the defense forces down.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Bribery and corruption now

not a great couple of weeks for the ESB

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

The Commission for the Regulation of Utilities (CRU) has formally announced today that electricity customers will receive a payment of €89.10 as the charge to fund renewables is not needed due to the high wholesale price of electricity.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2023/0209/1355695-cru-on-electricity-subsidy/

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

No mention of the 12 years of overcharging to subsidise businesses though.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Surprise, surprise, the ESB opposes plans for extra scrutiny of senior figures in public bodies in an overhaul of ethics rules.

“While it might be appropriate to elected representatives at national, local and European level, we believe that it would not be appropriate to publicly publish the register of interest for chairpersons and CEOs of public bodies”

It makes you wonder exactly what they have to hide.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

This story is astonishing, at a time when everyone was pinned to the wall during the recession Eamon Ryan makes a secret deal to increase the cost of our electricity bills so pharma companies and data centres could get cheaper electricity.

The CRU role is farcical in this too. Especially as a poster on here emailed them only a few months ago about energy companies constantly increasing standing charges and they replied to him that they have no power under their remit to regulate standing charges. Now it turns out that they were directing higher standing charges for the consumer and diverting that into cost savings for big business. What a crowd of liars and fraudsters.

And zero public outcry or driven media attention

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

I have emailed electric Ireland requesting details of exactly how much I was overcharged between 2009-2021.

Advertisement