Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone not offering fibre

Options
  • 31-01-2023 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

After a number of years without issue with Vodafone, they offered a twelve month contract with a tenner off every month. With KN vans haunting the estate, they confirmed that the very day fibre to the door was available to Eir customers, it would available to me as a Vodafone customer.

Now over a month since my Eir and Sky neighbours have been able to move to full fibre (and checking my address on their sites shows they’re offering it to my house), Vodafone still isn’t offering it and it says there are currently ‘no plans’ to offer it.

After years of waiting and dealing with **** speeds (for two people WFH and multiple kids), this is doing my head in to now be unable to avail of it. Vodafone said I’d be charged €325 to leave for Eir now as an early termination fee (the sickener being I could have left them for nothing in November after they raised their prices but I didn’t see any benefit given fibre was about to come).

anyone else experience this?

quad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭dam099

Did they confirm that on the contract renewal call? If they did ask them for a copy of the recording (you are entitled under GDPR) and use that to try and force their hand to either offer fibre or allow you to exit the contract due to their breach of the terms they confirmed to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I did that - said I would have to submit such a request in writing. I said I was going to request an audio of the call etc. kept it professional, told them I was a home and broadband customer for years etc. they didn’t give one ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭dam099

Get the audio and once you have it ring them back asking. If they still refuse ask them to open a formal complaint, they may still refuse but once you have gone down that route you can then involve Comreg. Probably no harm to say when you ask them to log the complaint to mention Comreg at that stage too as might prompt them to reconsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

I did find that it took Vodafone a few weeks longer than Eir/Sky/others to update their database to show that fibre was available at my address so maybe keep checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

So to close this off: over a month after Eir started installing fibre in our estate, the VF site started showing it as available to us. Have an install date next week.

I went with the 500mb but now I’m thinking I should have gone for the 1GB…

For online gaming is there any difference between a 1GB or 500mb (aside from raw download speeds). I presume pings etc are all the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭RobiePAX

Glad to hear they sorted you eventually. So it was just a matter of waiting.

As for your speeds question. 500 MB/s is more than enough for gaming. Ping is the same either way, just your games/updates would have downloaded faster. 1GB is more for household with a lot of computers e.g. a family with multiple gamers.

If you regret going with 500 MB/s I don't see why Vodafone can't change plan for you for a higher monthly price (after they install it first). After all on technical side 500 MB/s is just 1GB with artificial cap. They just need to remove the cap remotely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I used to have gigabit SIRO in my old house but it seemed like overkill to me. If I were to get it again it would be for the higher upload speed rather than the download speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Notmything

Same, I dropped from 1gig to the 500 offering when I moved house and never had any issues speed wise or that

Usually have a gaming laptop and PS4 going as well as the usual streaming n browsing

Advertisement