Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIFF 2023

Options
  • 01-02-2023 4:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Any recommendations this year lads?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

The programme hasn't been announced yet. I think that will be next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pasandatick

It's fun

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

They're probably up against it but nothing stands out after a quick glance at the programme. And you have got to be kidding me having 406 Days as the closing night gala.

"In 1985, the late Michael Dwyer launched the first Dublin Film Festival...In the 32 years since the first Surprise Film..." surprised this hasn't been picked up in the last six years.

The standouts for me are new films from Alice Winocour, Mia Hansen-Love, Ti West, Quentin Dupieux and…..Walter Hill!

I usually avoid the big Irish premieres. They are packed full with the cast, crew, family and friends. It’s like you’re intruding on a private party.

The festival has scaled back in the past few years. They show a lot less films than they used to. There’s no title sponsor this year.

I’m old enough to remember the festival in the 90’s in the Screen cinema when, starting from 2:00 pm, you had the choice of at least three films at any one time.

If you had a season ticket there was so much choice. There were strands of films from different countries (American independent cinema was always a big thing) and complete retrospectives of filmmakers.

The current version of the festival has lost that magic for me but I suppose that’s called getting older…

• Registered Users Posts: 86,701 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

From a quick glance I would be interested in

God's Creatures

Dead for a Dollar

Ann

Barber

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭BalboBiggins

I went in 2018 when Paul Schrader was the special guest and he chose several classic films for the festival. Have they stopped these classic films now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's no guest programmer or anything this year AFAIK, but they do have a few films from the acclaimed Armenian director Artavazd Peleshyan (who is coming over as well). There's the usual silent film with musical accompaniment - Keaton's Steamboat Bill Jr this time around. And they're showing at least two other classics - a late-night screening of the 1979 Spanish film Arrebato and a new restoration of Cool Hand Luke.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,701 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Emily Watson will receive this year’s Volta award

Film lovers across Ireland and internationally have the opportunity to see select programme highlights digitally and in person around the country. A selection of features and shorts will be available online that will have screened in cinemas in the festival as well as online only exclusives including interviews with best-selling authors Neil Gaiman and Leïla Slimani

Paris Memories

The Dublin Film Festival always gets to show the new Alice Winocour movie and it's always a highlight and this year is no exception.

A woman (the excellent Virginie Efira) survives a terrorist attack on a Paris cafe but has trouble remembering what happened. She attempts to piece together the events of the night and tries to track down a man who helped her survive.

It's a hypnotic and compelling drama with a well earned emotional ending.

• Advertisement

Dead For a Dollar

I didn't think I'd get the opportunity to see a new Walter Hill western on the big screen so this was nice.

And it very much delivers. His style of filmmaking hasn't changed at all. Still the economical way of telling a story. There's no fat, just the narrative barreling along to its violent conclusion. Scenes ending with abrupt fade outs.

It's about a bounty hunter and a woman fleeing her psycho husband and a corrupt Mexican landowner with his army of henchman and an ex-con gunslinger played with relish by Willem Dafoe.

If you're a fan of Hill there will be lots to enjoy.

Finally it was dedicated to legendary Western director Budd Boetticher, a nice touch.

Advertisement