Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many times have you tested positive for covid

Options
  • 01-02-2023 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

I’ve had it 3 times in 15 months despite mask wearing, using sanitizer etc. wondering how many times others have tested positive for it.

How many times have you tested positive for covid 138 votes

Never
    34%
    nothing_Kaiser_AlunPadraig MorfmtowgerScotty #cythonGLaDOSBlack SwanKazooieCaptain Chaosmct1TherapyBoybeertonsDeeper Bluejaffa20cunavalosShadow Dancerwench 48 votes
    41%
    SupercellSpearAnnasopracharlie_saysgeeceeKevIRLvictor8600SeanWCrookedJackNaked LepperBandana boyjoseywhaleso1s1nTweeterCrescentCinammonGirlTenzor07IrishHomerinajockcripesonfriday 57 votes
    16%
    the corpoDavexirljoseph brandAlkersnewbie2Fionnebikeman1shane byourdeadwrightWhatsGoingOn2maude6868George_Kaplansarah88JDDfoozzybear61Eggonyerfaceyerwanthere123Filmer Paradisequokularaclle 23 votes
    3%
    screamerWhiplashyKurooipicturehangupJarhead_Tendler 5 votes
    1%
    rovers_runnerextremehalo 2 votes
    5 or more
    2%
    WibbsBRYAN Is Ainm Domtruthseekerxz 3 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Never

Never tested positive for COVID-19. Vaccinated, boosted 3x, N-95 masked, and practiced in social distancing. No COVID-19 or flu or colds in 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Curious, are you planning to do this for the rest of your life?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭purplefields

Never

If you do catch a cold, you might be hammered by it now!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Never

Maybe. We will know in 5 or more years when longitudinal studies begin for COVID-19 and other diseases occurring at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I hit twice by mistake ,

Once Paddy's day last year ,

It was really strange went out for lunch with the family at about 1 & i was grand . when i came home at 5 i started to feel really weird & all of a sudden by half 5 i was sitting on the bed shivering & sweating profusely I tested myself & it went positive straight away ,

I went straight to the spare room & went to sleep in a jocker , i slept for about 15 hours straight woke drenched in sweat but feeling completely fine like absolutely brand new , tested positive for 2 more days ,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

I asked my gp and he said it’s because I didn’t get boosters in time. I’ve been going for them whenever I get the texts that it’s time to go. Second time I got covid I got my booster and a week later I got covid. I don’t understand what he’s getting at, as even boostered to the eyeballs won’t stop you catching it. He said people are exhibiting all types of health issues after catching covid multiple times and that this won’t be good for me long term…… I don’t know what to say to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

Never

Never tested positive for COVID. Had one vaccine dose . Never really socially distanced as I had to work in retail environments throughout. Never had flu in my life rarely have colds

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

Twice for me.

First time was like a bad cold, second time was barely noticeable

• Registered Users Posts: 8,213 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Once last year. Wouldn't have thought anything of it if my child didn't already have it so I did a test. Wasnt even as bad as a cold for me, luckily. No other illnesses for the past 3 years either, and like pretty much everyone at this stage, I don't mask or social distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Never

I've escaped somehow.

I work in a secondary school with 80+ staff and directly teach 200+ kids every week. I can't say I put my social life on pause so was seeing plenty of people/going out at the weekend etc (when we were allowed of course). My family/friends/housemates have all gotten it multiple times and I've been a close contact more times than I can count. I used to test myself every week during the peak. I did get my vaccines and was going for wearing a mask/sanitising.

I'm on medication that makes me immunocompromised for months at a time to make it odder.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Never

While I took/take reasonable precautions, I wouldn't be overly strict. All the family have had it, including my wife who I didn't isolate from when she had it. Fully vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭ottolwinner

Never

Like a similar poster.

never had it. Kn95 masks. Vac and one booster along with the recommended hand sanitising at the time. Though mostly washed hands.

worked through the pandemic with patients who were positive.

had a recent anti body test that showed high levels of antibodies. Not sure what that says anymore. Thankful I never had and hopeful I won’t get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 George_Kaplan

All vaccines & double boosted (High risk category). Got Covid twice, 11 months and 3 weeks apart. Both times came from child via school.

The second time was the worst but not in Covid symptoms as I ended up with bacterial infection due to covid inflammation just as the main symptoms were clearing up.

Now, three weeks after initial Covid infection and a week of feeling good, I now have Long Covid apparently (according to GP). I have a return of symptoms with fatigue, cough, and general feeling like crap.

I received a notification from HSE on getting third booster on the night before I tested positive - so that won't be happening for a few months. I am beginning to wonder if this merry-go-round of boosters->covid->booster->covid will ever end or should be better timed to give protection that coincides with higher incidences(Christmas/Winter like flu). Anecdotally, my first incidence was 4 weeks after booster and had no such complications, but many variables have changed since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

Never

Very few on that merry go round you mentioned. Younger people <40 haven't been getting boosters and COVID case numbers flat lined long ago

At this stage the vials are probably going out of date in a warehouse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Had it once, tested positive 5 times.

Never

Now reading the CDC reports regarding future boosters, as well as scholarly literature accordingly. Will get a 4th booster if and when the literature suggests such would be beneficial.

For something so mild, its hard for anyone to say how many times they had it unless you were standing in line at your local test centre every morning.

It was hard to get antigen tests when they were considered snake oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭raclle

Vaccinated and one booster and not getting anymore. I've had covid twice. All the boosters in the world won't stop you getting it. We don't know what we are getting injected into our bodies and you only have immunity up to 6 months in any case. Covid is here to stay just like the flu. Anyone who hasn't got it yet along with the flu is in for a rude awakening when they do eventually get it. You can't wear a mask or social distance forever. I can't imagine constantly wearing a mask would be in anyway healthy either.

• Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 276 ✭✭Jazz Hands

I was testing for COVID up until i caught it last summer. Never tested again after that so dont know how many times I may have been positive for covid since.

so once confirmed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I'm not vaxed and I do not social distance. I caught Covid only once, mild.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Caught COVID-19 spring 2020. Before vaccines were available across this pond. Experienced terrible symptoms and got permission from HQ to take a 6 months leave from modding.

Now have long Covid with the street name “brain fog.” The bad news is that it’s chronic and continues to this day without a cure. The good news is that when it occurs, generally I forget little things, or worse and less frequently, experience confusion. Lucky me I have a university employer that gives me reasonable accommodations during the rare confused days. So in gratitude I work my butt off on the vast majority of good days.

Since catching Covid I have been vaccinated and triple boosted, wear N-95s, socially distance, avoid crowds, and ensure good personal hygiene (washing hands, etc). Oddly, I have not caught Covid a 2nd time or caught the flu or caught a cold with all these preventive measures in place for the past 2 or so years.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Self isolated for the 7 days after a positive test this time last year. Only took the test because we had another case in the house. Only C19 symptom I experienced was extreme boredom for the week.

Twice for me!

First dose was very early in the outbreak (months before the vaccines) and was absolutely horrendous. Lungs were a mess, couldn’t breathe properly, aches, pains, sweats, huge blood clots coming out of my nose and when it went away I didn’t feel right for about 6 months. I was on steroids briefly and everything.

That one was confirmed with antibody blood test a couple of months after the fact.

Had initial two doses of Pfizer jab as soon as eligible and the 1st booster late in 2021.

Then I got it again just before Xmas 2022 and it was just a very bad headache, dry sinuses but throbbing headache for days (was taking lots of paracetamol), same weird blood clots from the nose again, aches in legs and arms and joints and a fever but absolutely no cough and I recovered fully after about a week and a bit. It wasn’t pleasant but it was probably less bad than flus I have had previously. It was showing up positive on antigens for about 16 days. Followed the normal guidelines for everything else, but stayed very far way from an immune compromised older relative until the antigens were totally clear.

I seem to be fine. No symptoms of long COVID or anything like that.

Will definitely get the second booster before I head abroad for summer hols..

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Four times tested positive, probably had it more but stopped the testing early on.

Worked in person from day one so was always going to get it many times, as did the kids.

Worked all the way through each time and never isolated, a pure cod as I felt fine within 24hrs each time.

Got initial two vaccines and a booster for travel at the time, third one floored me for 24hrs and swore that was it, putting myself in that position for nothing.

Health wise I'm better than I was pre March 2020 so I'd be of the opinion it's not this but your pre existing health that you need to worry about. I excuse the elderly completely and in hindsight look back in jest at the obese who judged us joggers from behind their masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Took the usual cautions and got it once. What's the record??

As easy as it is to mock (in hindsight) I try and avoid it. People were genuinely frightened.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Never

Not yet for me. Wohoo.

As for the rest of the house, wife had it 3 times, both kids had it twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Tested positive before a flight but had no symptoms, haven't had a cold since 2019 either which is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,875 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Got in once start of this year and just in time for special leave they had for it to be reduced drastically. Just my luck on the last bit. Still suffer from bad tiredness at times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Advertisement