Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Patricks day 2023 launch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Isn't Drag a club thing? Is there a confusion between Drag and Trans?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

First thing I’d say is the photoshoot looks like a dogs dinner. A right MESS, ugly, unappealing and would actively discourage ppl from attending this event.

second thing - a specific celebration of Irish culture, Christianity (the clue is in the name - St Patrick’s day) and Irishness has been REJECTED by the organisers and it has transitioned into some bland boring off the shelf generalised “diversity” event ... WTF like??

third point - whoever is calling the shots - the Minister - that awful Green one, and the artistic director coming up with this rubbish should be sacked.

Post edited by Beechwoodspark on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

I really liked the setup at Collins Barracks last time I was there. Looking forward to some beers and music. Hopefully we get some good weather for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Its kinda funny. People who usually complain about so called cancel culture and go on about free speech want to cancel these ads

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Well the irony of your statement is that through these ridiculous, ugly "ad's", they are actually cancelling/hijacking the real meaning and culture of St Patrick's Day.

• Advertisement

Picture of the characters top left looks like a Halloween party. None of this has any connection whatsoever to St. Patrick's Day.

St Patricks Day has had a very diverse culture for decades.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Looks dreadful, and for kid’s to be seeing that kind of carry on.

Wonder would other religion’s be as accepting as ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭opinionated3

That may be true, but I don't see any culture in those photos. And not even a hint of the man/day we are supposed to be celebrating

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Yeah I'm not seeing the cultural meaning behind it to be honest.

The trans person is quite beautiful looking in my opinion, but I'm confused as to why they're dressed like this? Knickers and fishnets? I'm a biological woman and I don't think I'd get away with parading in front of kids like that. Maybe I'm getting old or I've lost touch with what's trendy.

They need to go back to the drawing board imho. Or maybe they're just trying to stir sh1t among people. Nah they'd never do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,826 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Disgraceful. It used to be about Ireland and our culture.

Not really. There was never drag queens dressed up in dark Halloween costumes to promote Paddy's Day.

"Irishness" can be considered a "super-culture". There isn't another culture in the world that is recognised and celebrated like the Irish.

Therefor this move to take out nearly all elements of Irishness in promoting our National Holiday, and replace them with something completely unrelated, is a subtle move to undermine our Irish culture.

From the Patrick's Day Festival website:

"Our stories have bound us together as one global community - a community that traverses borders, enthrals and entrances, connects and inspires. A community that welcomes all voices with dignity and respect. One community, one planet, one human race, one great, big beating heart.  "

This is globalist rhetoric. No thanks. I am not a "global citizen". I am Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Yeah, why have the Islamic community not been invited to join them? It seems very exclusive to me.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

If you insist on a strictly Irish version of Irishness then you shouldnt have been celebrating a migrant from Wales all these years.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Oh for the innocent days of paddy’s day and loads of drunk Irish.romantic Ireland’s dead and gone,it’s with O’Leary in the grave

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

They don't do themselves any favours & see this is why you get people out there who claim its a mental health disorder , As its always seems to be about the shock value & look at me in a sexualised way, which would be called out no matter who is doing it ,

The majority of people complaining are not being hateful or transphobic about it ,as iv previously said if a straight Male or female turned up in the Paddy's Parade dressed seductively ,there would without question be the same outcry form the public, that its the wrong place time for that, Its just common sense,

Read the room dress for the occasion no matter what your persuasion is ,

Somebody please take the children to Mass to see men in dresses.

Terry Pratchet

Priests don't wear dresses , well maybe they do in private but not in mass ,

Mental how many people don't know the difference between a dress & a Cassock or a Alb

Same thing just a different name.

It is funny really to see all the Mary Whitehouse outrage stuff re this.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,547 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

A straight person doing that would be rightfully arrested.

It’s not men in dresses. It’s men in leather thongs and fishnets.

I'm not going to lie i'm cracking up laughing here, it's brilliant,

Not like the woke crowd to pretend something is something it most defiantly is Not ,

Ahh man you couldn't write it ,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

The only thing that surprises me is that there is no Ukrainian flag in the promo shots.

It looks like an ad for the Eurovision overall. Makes me glad I’m out of the country and won’t have to witness this tragedy.

There's really going to have to come a time when society has to deal with the narcissism of certain groups, who for some reason feel the need to be front and center all the time. They have periods of time dedicated to them already, but it's not enough, now they've to be forced into everything. I don't even get it in terms of persuasion, as even moderate supporters will eventually get fed up with this stuff. Too much of anything is bad, yet it's a message that seems lost on them.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Just don't get the Drag aspect of it. Is Drag the official representative of the LGBT community now?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

such an ugly mess of a photoshoot. Is the idea to scare ppl away from attending ??

Post edited by Beechwoodspark on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

This portrayal of St. Patrick's Day is symptomatic of what Ireland has become; completely mixed up with no identity anymore. What it means to be Irish? no idea, absolutely every aspect of what it did mean is being attacked and shutdown by these type of groups. The sad thing is the pull they seem to have with authorities and government agencies/media. Country is a real mess now

• Advertisement

completely mixed up with no identity anymore

That reminds me of the great analogy in The Strange Death of Europe, where Murray was quoting someone who said something along the lines of: For a civilization to function everyone must be playing the same tune in the same key, yet in the modern West we don't even know the tune we're meant to be playing.

Advertisement