Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Patricks day 2023 launch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭SnazzyPig

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Ireland has become a willing blank canvas for every sort of NGO funded diversity project one can name

grim

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Oh great, St Patricks day is going to be another lecture from the usual tiresome dickwads.

All of this inclusivity being shoved down my throat is simply making me more conservative, because I'm sick to the hole of being lectured at.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

Looks like something out of a Hieronymus Bosch painting. Less a parade than a national humiliation ritual.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

I voted for the gay marriage referendum.but if I could go back and vote again it would be a massive no.

we gave them the same as straight people but for a small vocal minority of the lgbt whatever your having yourselves community it not enough.it has to be rammed down your throat at every opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭AllForIt

As a homosexual man I don't think I've thanked so many posts in so far such a short thread.

I don't know how many times I've said it but I'll say it again and again, the Left are now scraping the barrel in order to bleat on about diversity and inclusion to keep that narrative perpetually current.

As a gay man I'm embarrassed by that photo when those drag queens say they represent homosexuality. I have absolutely nothing in common with any gay man who has such a frightening fascination with the female form, especially when they express it is such a sexualized fashion.

What really disgusts me about those people is in their minds they think they are the real gays, but quite obviously if they outwardly present as a women at the same time they are sexually attracted to men, then they are not the real gays at all, because what they present is more akin to a heterosexual scenario. The real gay men act like men look like men and engage in personal and sexual relationships with same. That is what homosexuality is, not gender bendy anything.

Yeah, but in fairness, they're just accepting the platform being offered to them.

It's the government and NGOs who are funding and pushing this agenda so heavily. They're the ones who created and bankrolled this "St. Patrick's Day" promotional campaign.

Why?

You can’t blame the whole community for this circus. I can’t speak for them but I’m willing to bet most of the gay community are just as sick of this as the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Go on then, what great culture is being eroded by having a dozen drag queens march with 5000 other people in a parade? Have the gays insisted we can't play GAA anymore? Is panti bliss on a one person crusade against Sean nos singing? Is Shirley temple bar outside tg4 with a can of petrol?

What is being torn down by giving a small % of the population representation?

"I would deny people basic equality if I knew they wouldn't act exactly like me" is a hell of a take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What is being torn down by giving a small % of the population representation?

Well firstly a St Patrick's day parade that will likely have nothing to do with Irish culture.

I'd bet you won't see a single representation of sèan nòs, the GAA or other Irish cultural things in that parade, you will get some Irish dancing and we can thank the Riverdance phenomenon for that.

Has there ever been? It's always been American marching bands and weird dragon floats, you ever seen Mary black on the back of a pick up singing a woman's heart?

Paddy's day is a commercialized version of paddy whackery sold to tourists and an excuse for a sesh, let's not pretend it's some deeply symbolic inward celebration of Irish culture.

At least the drag queens will have a bit of wit about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Great to see the venezuelan dancers have their national colours on display all the same....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,434 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Local parades in fairness all have their GAA,Camogie,Boxing,Dancing Clubs etc.

The Dublin Parade is more of a spectacle I suppose.

True, I should have specified.

I still don't see how having a few queens dancing deflects from irishness but the Sao Paolo samba dancers are apparently Diaspora......

• Registered Users Posts: 20,434 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The provocative nature of some of the costumes in the promotional photos I think raised a few eyebrows.

There must be better ways to represent the LGBT community. Drag is just an act. It's like representing the Construction Industry with Dustin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

giving a small % of the population representation?

What percentage of the population are drag artists, I wonder... tbh they've had more representation in Ireland going back to the 80s probably, than any other section of the LGBT+ community

He was before my time, but just googled "Mr. Pussy"

Before Panti, there were drag acts in Irish society, and none as important to the story as Mr. Pussy, who drew in huge crowds in the 1970s

“If anybody has helped to lure Irish audience into a broad-minded era”, the Sunday Independent said in 1974, it was Mr. Pussy.

https://comeheretome.com/2015/10/22/life-was-a-drag-in-1970s-dublin-before-panti-there-was-mr-pussy/

That's 50 years ago, for all it wants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭hawley

• Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

She of course makes a great point.

But her delivery was shocking.

Who is she?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

I get that drag is partly an exagerated over the top representation of women. Alan Amsby years ago, your man on Dancing With the Stars whose name escapes me and the likes of Danny La Rue and Dame Edna Everidge all did or do it. What I don't get at all is the need for some to dress like two bit hookers in a public setting and that we're all meant to think it's ok. I do wonder would our politicians be jumping into photoshoots if it was girls dressed in provocative fetish gear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

And nobody wants this but a teeny tiny minority and a group of consultants and companies, getting well paid to showcase "diversity".

Im not outraged, I just don't care. I do think we should promote our own culture on our national day and it is a shame certain cohorts seem ashamed of that culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Ahh here, I think it’s fair to say media outlets like the Irish Independent will have selected the photos they did from the thousands of photos and videos taken that day by photographers, because they knew well ‘twould generate clicks.

The launch video is a bit more representative of all things Irish, and celebrating our culture and heritage and all the rest of it. Bit maudlin’ IMO if I’m being honest, and that’s not because I’m ashamed of Irish culture and our heritage or anything, it’s just because I’ve always thought of St. Patrick’s Day parades as being utter cringefests.

I haven't seen any other photos of the launch event at all. So unless every media outlet decided together....

I actually agree with the festival comments, not my cup of tea either. I just think our festival should celebrate our impact on the world, not the other way around.

Tbh at this stage you just see things like this and sigh, it's to be expected.

That’s what media outlets generally do though, particularly media outlets which are all owned by the same media group - they don’t have photographers on staff, they buy images and video from independent photographers/videographers, etc. That’s why they could all legit end up showing the same photo set.

I’m not big on festivals and stuff anyway, the floats and stuff were always a piss-poor effort IMO of just sponsors promoting their brands. One memorable occasion as a child was the local abattoir float with two sheep’s heads poking through a placard, they were called Zig and Zag… many adults were scarred for life that day, children thought it was hilarious 😂

But yeah, I get you, it’s to be expected not because of any particular political agenda, but simply because the general public have kinda lost interest in the parade in recent years, and turning it into a festival stretched over a few days was trying to make it worthwhile for tourists to extract more money from them, and this latest effort is just more of the same, from the same arts and culture types, sponsored by corporate interests.

And I do agree with alot of that. But if the main reason for it is to make money (and that's not a bad thing many business depend on it), going overboard on the twee Irish image is more likely to attract visitors, than look how global and generic we are.

But then these consultants are probably paid a fair wedge to come up with something 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@Absolute Zero do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Starfire20

the outrage from the usual reactionaries is hilarious.

oh noes....cant be having any of that diversity or inclusivness stuff going on in what is essentially a weekend booze session.

wont someone think of the children etc

and then one poster above saying if they"d have known how uppity non-straight people would have gotten after they had voted yes to gay marriage, theyd have voted no instead.

pathetic.

at the end of the day, whats Irish about venerating a foreign mythology, one whose members have inflicted countless cases of misery on people living in Ireland?

at the end of the day, whats Irish about venerating a foreign mythology, one whose members have inflicted countless cases of misery on people living in Ireland?

It doesn’t get more quintessentially Irish than foreigners looking on in bemusement while the Irish are all pissed as fcuk and taking lumps out of each other between pissing on the streets and the possibility of a bone-rattling session on one of our national monuments which will undoubtedly make the papers as everyone having had a good time 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Not sure why people are focusing in on this element. I was at the parade last year and there was very little LGBT related in the parade.....it was far from a 'gay mardi gras' and I doubt this year will be any different. Also, the diversity and 'we are one' theme this year could refer to just about anything, not just LGBT issues.

• Advertisement

What element?

I don't really have an issue with an LGBT element. Were trans people involved in the launch last year as well?

Advertisement