Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog won't get into car

• 01-02-2023 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭

So I recently got a different car. Previously the dog, a 4 year old golden doodle, had no problems with getting into last car. Now not for love nor money or treats or favourite toy will he get in the car. Any suggestions before I kill him!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,049 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Is he afraid of being inside the car do you think or is it eg too high for him? I use a ramp for my two. My older boy has trouble stopping when he comes down the ramp these days so I lift him out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Height is a good guess. Also smells - does it have a strong new car smell or anything? Is the interior a very different colour or material (eg going from tan leather to black cloth).

How close will he get and at what point does he refuse to get in? Any body language cues about what's going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Well seat is same height as previous car. Colour of seat is pretty much the same. He will put his paws on seat and look in and that's it, he backs away and won't budge. I've tried sitting in the back to entice him in beside me but no he's having none of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Sounds like something he can either see or smell is freaking him out. Does he have a bed or blanket that you could put down, or preferably a previously used car seat cover or hammock?

It's probably about exposure. Try sitting in the back seat again and rewarding him massively when he comes near to the car, then repeating if he'll put his paws on the seat, then try placing treats on the seat for him to eat off, then gradually move the treats further away. This would take place over days, probably, not minutes, just to be clear! You could also try an odour-eliminating spray in case there's a lingering smell you can't detect, but your dog can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Have your dinner in the car.

Share.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I've done that,yum yum. Now what about the dog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,049 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I’d lift him in and see what he thinks. My dogs have always gone mad to investigate when I get them a new car lol 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭mct1

There's a product called Adaptil that's for calming down dogs - comes as a spray or diffuser and consists of pheromones, nothing harmful. I've used Feliway which is similar but for cats, works well for that typeof situation. You'd spray in the car (not the dog).

Advertisement