Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting imported minibus to camper vrt

Options
  • 01-02-2023 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I have been looking for an irish reg minibus to convert to a camper for a while now, unfortunately a decent vehicle and my budget haven't come together 😞. I started looking at the UK and there are likely ones popping up on a regular basis. The advantages of converting an Irish reg Minibus is the reduced payment to Revenue. The UK purchase I would be paying Vat on the purchase price, but not sure if I would have a Diesel Nox levy and also unsure if importing a minibus would fall into the same category as say an ordinary van, I.E. cheap. Then having cleared it would it be treated the same as an Irish reg Minibus from the point of payment to Revenue. I am finding it difficult to get answers on this but hopefully someone out there would have converted an English import and would share their experience with me. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The reduced VRT only applies to certain types of minibuses, basically small ones which you’d nearly call larger MPVs like VW Caravelles. They have to be Category A (as in 9 seats total) when they were registered.

Anybody buying a new minibus as a bus would buy a slightly bigger one and pay €200 VRT instead of car VRT on a 9 seater.

Buying a UK minibus isn’t worth it in my opinion. Too much hassle with licensing, and you won’t actually save on VRT.

Advertisement