Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming off other driver's insurance after accident

• 02-02-2023 12:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

I had a minor accident which was entirely the other driver's fault, they accepted liability to gardai at the scene and I have full dashcam footage of the incident.

I initially contacted the other driver's insurer but I wasn't happy with the repairer they wanted me to use and it felt like they would drag it out. I proceeded through my own comprehensive insurance and my insurer will recover the costs from the other insurer. The car has been fixed and back on the road so that side of it is fine.

I don't intend to claim for personal injury but I do have some expenses like the excess I had to pay and some car hire that I had to pay when the hire period under my policy ran out. I also want to claim for depreciation as the car is 3 years old and was worth about €22K on trade in but will be worth less now after the accident.

What is the best way to claim from the other driver's insurer and how do I work out how much the car has been devalued by?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Most insurers will tag your uninsured costs onto their recovery efforts and reimburse your portion on success. You will need to be able to provide supporting documents to assist them (apart from the excess). With regard to depreciation, any entitlement is limited to a percentage of the repair cost. For a 3yr old car, you might get 10%

Advertisement