Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are you for silage?

Options
  • 02-02-2023 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

I reckon I have just reached the halfway point in my silage. How are others? Is there much demand for our silage or is it only bales lads want when buying silage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭emaherx

Probably just enough silage until the middle of March, but I've a hay shed filled with hay that won't be touched.

I know people have bought pit silage, but I can't see there being much demand this year, certainly not around here (North East) anyway as first cuts had big yields.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Fairly bad around here in the south, I have enough for mid March I'd say, that's stretching it with straw and beet. Let the fresh cows out the other day to reduce use also

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Happy so far here. Looking like maybe 20% will be carried over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Dozer1

was going to be short so bought 50 bales to get me to late March, should have let a few cattle out the last week or so but other things got in the way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Did a count there a month ago and I was ok up to 1st of April

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I’m in Meath and know lads that were nearly finshed their first cut pits by the time they put in the second cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

You'd want to be using it up pretty quickly if you're taking it from a pit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Big demand around me for silage. Lads will take anything. I should be OK until the end of march, but if we get an East wind I'm finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Still on first pit of silage here. Have about 60 silage bales left too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Grueller

Bought 150 bales in November and fed the cows while dry with it. Have enough for about 16 weeks left at full winter feeding rates so expect to have about 8 weeks fodder carried over.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Tight but knew that starting winter so sold culls early.demand for silage dropping and I ll be OK if I can grass to milking cows.have a nice bit of zero if the weather comes as we could nt get it last winter with wet .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭endainoz

Loads of silage around here, carried over a good bit from last year and only started this year's after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Grand, fed this years bales, finishing off last years pit and prob won't open this years till middle of the month maybe. Grass covers relatively low, very little growth with wet winter at home and had calves out too late on out farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Packrat

Should be ok although the state of hill sheep means that they'll now get some 20 or 30 bales that I didn't plan for.

Cows are actually eating slower than expected and I'll only sell a very few bales

Should be ok till end of April or so. May better be right.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭older by the day

I don't have sheep. But they are around here. What about hill sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Have enough to 15 April. Hopefully they’ll be out a few weeks before that. Aim to get them all out for last week of March but it’s often the second week of April before the weather allows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Packrat

Many hill sheep aren't in good shape after the weather we've had since September.

I was hoping to not feed them silage this year but that ship has sailed.

Thankfully I rammed them light this year - as in there's less of them in lamb and no hoggets or thin ewes in lamb. No price for the fecking lambs anyway so better off with half of them dry.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120194113#Comment_120194113

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 18,661 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Had 128 bales left at the start of the week. Using slightly less than 14/week. Enough until the start of April. However the silage ground needs to be grazed off before closing at the 1week of April at the latest. Should have a surplus of about 20 u less I have to feed them if grass gets tight in late April early May

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Should have 8 weeks left over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,590 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Have enough on full winter ration till the first week in April.

Thinking of your comment David. There's a very real prospect of a dry east wind ahead.

What I'm aiming myself to do is get every grazable bit of ground spread with slurry.

In the hash times it's the ground that got slurry are the only bits able to grow anyway normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Good loser

First cut on 6 acs was 84 bales and because of drought only 35 from same field for second cut.

Fed first cut - took 10.5 bales per week. looking to be out of silage by end Feb. Started second cut early last week - extremely dry bales (haylage really). It looks like demand has fallen to around 6 bales per week so silage may stretch to mid March. Have hay as a fallback.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I won't be letting them out just because conditions allow and grass is there, lot of April's gone where grass was stripped from the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

If you’re worried about cold weather coming that would strip the grass would that not be all the more reason to be grazing the lush green grass that’s there now?

What would be the point in waiting for the cold April to come to burn the grass with the hash east wind and turn it brown and purple? It might as well be grazed now when there’s value in it, short grass will recover far quicker after a cold spell than long grass will also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I have bout 10 weeks silage left of my own, so should be OK. There is a lad beside me I bought 30 bales from this last few years. He landed into me yesterday to see would I take the 30 bales this month as he wants them moved out of his way. I don't want them but going to take them anyway to keep him happy as I might need him next year and my own bales are triple wrapped to they will last until next winter any that's left over. His are only double.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

20 bales of silage and 18 of straw. A week and a half left. Going to graze the whole place and worry about silage later in summer. I bought too many cattle. All for factory in summer. Light covers but going to chance low stock rate for a few weeks and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,661 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The heat has gone out of the baled silage prices at present. If we get a late spring prices will rise again. you will need a fair bit of grass to stay out. Remember you may not get a flush of growth untl late April that is 12 weeks away

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

I'd be in an area where there was a good surplus of silage. Good bit moved up to last week. Looks quieter the past week but the next wet week will see plenty moving again. It's all going minimum of 40 miles with all purchasers saying " there is nothing to be got near home". I haven't sold silage in years but sold 100 to one man for good money 2 weeks ago. There is still some around but not a great amount either. Most lads will want to keep 8 to 10 weeks surplus for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

My neighbour got €40 a bale this morning. 21 on the load. Mad money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Looks like we will have 250 to 300 bales left over this year... Feeding 2020 bales to cattle at the moment. They are 100% sound.

Have quality May cut bales up on DD at the moment. No interest. We are in NE Galway, no shortage of fodder made last year around here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Going ok here. Have about 102days worth I reckon, (90 bales). Tb test is mid April and normally let them out after that. Weather dependant.

im very happy the last few years with the wastage. I haven’t even a transport box this year so far. (Fingers crossed)

I remember a few bad years, we used have trailers of waste.

Advertisement