Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are you for silage?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

When do people plan on letting cattle back out?

Mid March I'd hope, and get the silage ground grazed off and closed for slurry.

Get slurry out this week on fields with low cover, although they aren't too bad due to growth in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Ive put out late calvers, light stores and weanlings over the weekend. Grazing the silage ground currently. Will slurry some before the weather breaks which looks like at least 7 days away. Will rehouse anything big if weather stays broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

Would you be able to get some out now with the dry spell. It could be bulling rain in mid March and you could have to keep them in. Be better off to make use of the grass that’s there now and if the weather turns bad you can always put them back in. I know that doesn’t always suit with fragmented farms but if the opportunity is there to do it you won’t regret it.

Never really thought of that, walked the farm this evening and there's a nice bit on some fields, some are still a bit soft.

Might let the group of yearlings out and see how they go.

Few Dexter's out all winter, they've grazed off a field might get some slurry out on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

You and the stock won't regret it, but most important is the bottom line, no expensive silage to put in, less slurry to spread etc.

I have most of the yearling out a week. Even heavy ground is doing ok with light stock even better than I thought it would.

The key at this time of the year, is small groups and the use of strip wires and back fences. Cutting down the travelling they can do is vital.

• Advertisement

Have plenty of silage thank god even though I should have less stock. Ran out in 18, still have nightmares about that 6 month time period. Have a few light cattle out as their easy to bring back in. I find March the worst month weather wise, get all sorts. Worth leaving out even a few cattle if suitable I think.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Sounds great. What did you change to reduce the waste? More wraps per bale?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Not 100% certain. But reduced numbers mean I can be a little more selective in what to cut. If a place has too many rushes, I don’t bale. Dad used to bail everything.

another thing I do is I leave them to finish it fully. Dad used to have too much in front of them.

and a bit of luck.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Thanks for that. I used to try to pick out "bad bits" as well, but I leave them to it now. They have all day every day to sort thru any bits they don't like!

And I'm happy to say I notice a little less waste now compared to what I used to have before.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Got slurry out today, on the dry grazing paddocks, 2 others are too soft also didn't do silage fields.

One tank empty and another half full.

Approx a tank/2600 gallons an acre on 24 acres.

Hopefully the tanks will fill again for the silage fields.

Did soil sample last week so when get results will adjust for the slurry.

Hopefully it goes well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

He would want every bit of it

Advertisement