Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2023 Irish EV Sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Can't remember but that 1.2MWh represents about 10% of my overall annual usage

Essentially I looked at everything I could potentially put panels on (without literally covering the entire garden) and worked out that it would result in a approximately 19kWp system, mostly South facing

That system would more than cover my needs except for during winter, where I've a shortfall for 3 months

Now I'll admit the analysis was pretty rough, after all if the shortfall isn't that big compared to overall usage. So I'm pretty sure if it came down to it I'd be able to survive without the grid with some behaviour changes

One option I was looking at was installing a small pellet boiler to supplement the heat pump in winter and make my own pellets in summer from plant waste and a small pellet mill

There's about 5,000 holes in that plan, and I doubt it would ever be economical. However the objective was to go off grid (on paper) then I'd need a way to close that gap

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Model Y isn't out that long but the Model 3 it's based on is one of the most reliable EVs.

Cons: Less buttons, no car play/android auto

Pro's: Price, speed, range, driving, user interface, own charging network, fast charging, efficiency

Book in a test drive and use a referral link when ordering to get some free charging etc ..if you order now you might get one in the next few weeks as there's a delivery due

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

There is a Model Y thread for any specific questions you have

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

VW ID4 tops the sales for another month in Arpil.

Its good to see that there are still strong sales across the board and we see BYD make an entrance with 21 Atto3s.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I do feel like I see ID.4s everywhere on the road. Followed closely by Ioniq 5's and EV6s

I know, my car is common as muck now 😭

On the M4 at the weekend I got passed by two of them in a row, then saw another one within a minute

I feel like there's 3 companies really capitalising on the EV market here, Tesla, VW group and Hyundai/Kia. Between them they have around 60% of the market share for the year

I see the Model Y is catching up, #2 spot for April. Maybe it'll dethrone the ID.4 this year 🤔

It has a lot of catching up to do 1713 vs 711, in 2023

There are now over 6000 ID4 on the road in Ireland.

Irelands love of the volkswagen continues......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭ongarite

Big drop in sales for Ioniq 5 & EV6.

Ireland is low priority for EVs from the sister brands with orders on hold until 2024.

Same as last year. Big blow out in numbers in January with supply drying up completely.

All VAG EV brands with increases in sales. They have the stock & dealer network to clean up in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭fits

I just couldn’t bring myself to pay what they are asking for the VAG models at present. stupidly overpriced

The only value out there is Tesla right now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I think that's just how Hyundai prefer to operate, they try and load their registrations around the plate changes. They're not yet in a position to be holding EV stock for registration through later months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Absolutely, the id.4 seems extremely popular around Dublin area - among taxis and regular cars alike.

VW's plan to target the higher margin id.4, instead of the id.3, , along with having fewer trim levels / specs available seems to be paying off. They also seemed to have lower interest rate on those models.

Is it just the stock and the dealers for VW though. Tesla and polestar seem to have the stock also. The Koreans could be cleaning up if they could actually take orders never mind deliver.

Could also be the easy PCP financing and trade in compared to the types of financing available from the likes of Tesla and Polestar.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭n.d.os

The ID4 is popular because it's a VW and a lot of owners came from Tiguans. That was another huge seller for VW. It will be interesting to see how the new Tiguan performs against the ID4 when it comes out early next year.

I bought an ID4 because I had a Tiguan and started to see the ID4 1st about Dublin. It looked bigger than the Tiguan but for similar money. I was immediately drawn to the looks and the very simple, modern, spacious interior which is perfect for families with small kids. Everything can just be wiped down with a cloth and that's the appeal for me. You do see a lot of them about but that doesn't bother me. The Ioniq 5 is certainly popular too.

Our second car, a Polestar, was easy to get hold of as the poster mentioned above. Less than two weeks for delivery. It's definitely the second family car. Too nice inside to let the kids trample all over and not as much space as an ID4. I do think they will sell well this year though and you will start to see more of them on the road.

I'm really liking the ID4 GTX. They are quite popular around Dublin/Wicklow area. I think if I had to have one EV that's the one I'd go for in Silver with the smaller wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭iniall

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I bought an ID4 because it was the 1st EV that would fit my 3 kids and still had boot space and was at the right price. The PCP payments are less than the monthly fuel bill of the 2007 Touran it replaced

I don’t think to many people are from tiguans

Tiguan sales are down over 1,000 compared to the same period in 2019, versus 1,713 ID.4 sold. I can imagine a fair number of those Tiguan's were upgraded to ID.4s

I agree with you regarding the Hyundai or Kia buying experience

They seem to operate in a different way to VW. I was asking about an EV6 and the salesman explained that at the start of a year each dealership gets an allocation of vehicles based on their market share and they just seem to sell those cars to people on their waiting list in a first come first served basis

I think if any reservations get cancelled then it's open season for the other dealerships

But it seems to lead to a situation where it can be hard to buy a new car in one area but easy in another

VW by contrast work on a build to order system, so you order a car and it arrives some time later. There is a definite limit to the number of orders, they had to close the order book halfway through 2022 for example. They also seem a lot more flexible about picking up order cancellations from other dealerships

• Advertisement

@n.d.os made the claim that they think a lot of buyers are moving from the Tiguan which you disagreed with, the available info from motorstats appears to back that up. It doesn't mean people aren't moving to the ID.4 from other VW models or even other brands.

More surprising to me is that we're not seeing a similar move from the Golf to ID.3

I'd personally say it's a mixed bag, I know a few people who traded to ID cars from other VW's and a fair number (including myself) who came from other brands

I think brand loyalty is also a bit of a mixed bag in general in Ireland. I know folks who swear they'll never buy anything other than a Ford or Renault, presumably because they dislike happiness or something

At least Toyota fanatics can claim the cars are reliable, took me 6 months of abusive driving to kill the clutch on my Auris 😂

Back on topic, I think a lot of Golf owners were out off by the size and new looks of the ID.3. Considering the current Golf looks basically the same as the 2003 model, one can surmise that Golf owners are a tad conservative with styling

I suspect this is why VW have recently come out saying they might make an ID.Golf at some point in the future

Well what I was getting at is are sales down across the range of models or specifically Tuigans

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

A bit harsh on Ford and Renault owners🤔 I'd agree that the Golf is probably one of the most bland cars on the road and has made that accolodae its own for many many years at this stage. Tbh the ID3, externally at least, couldn't be more Golf like and I'd struggle to see how VW could tone down the styling to make it any closer the current Golf, they may as well update the eGolf and live off the nameplate for a few more generations.

For me the popularity of the ID4 is down to supply and the fact that it is one of the few EVs that has pretty much stuck with the faux SUV styling template of current ICEs so popular with Irish drivers. The Ioniq 5 and EV6, while classed as SUVs are styled more like large hatchbacks with oversized wheels, again all IMO

The funny thing about the ID.3 is that it's got a lot of Golf styling, but is in different proportions. If you sit the two side by side, the ID.3 is a much chunkier car

A lot of this is down to the shortened bonnet and being slightly taller. Personally I quite like that, much better use of the available footprint, but I can also see how some Golf owners (being as conservative as they are) wouldn't like it

VW have actually walked back on the whole ID.3 being the Golf replacement idea. I think that was Deiss' plan and he's been ousted, current management are all career VW heads. They're now saying the ID.3 was more of a Golf Plus

However they need the next gen platform because that has a thinner battery pack, so will be a Golf sized car

Regarding the ID.4, I agree that supply is a major factor. You can actually go and buy one, which it seems for a few other EVs out there is a major challenge

Stats are available for all to see, the Tiguan saw a bigger drop in numbers than other VW models.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

It seems possible that EVs will outsell HEVs as they are very close now (around 500 difference) and perhaps EVs might even beat diesels (around 4k difference).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

Tesla model 3, monthly for 2023.

For a while now, a Tesla model 3 has relatively short wait times here in Ireland, yet only 190 of them delivered all year, putting it 93rd most popular model in Ireland, literally down in the noise level.

it heralded the arrival of the Tesla revolution when announced in March 2016, is clearly an excellent vehicle, has won countless respected worldwide awards, but never sold in any big numbers in Ireland. Even at its peak sales it was around no.30 in sales by model.

its now cheaper than ever too. I think Tesla has a brand issue with the 3. Buyers are either ignoring Tesla altogether and choosing something else, or else are ignoring the 3 and buying the Y, albeit the Y is still only selling in small numbers here, at no.26 in the YTD sales chart.

(incidentally, we known on Boards that many Y sales are people trading out of a 3, so they aren’t all buyers who are new to the Tesla brand).

the amount of Boardsie talk of Tesla in recent years does not reflect reality in any way! it really shows how a brand with no advertising exists only online.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

A lot of people that know of Tesla don't like Musk, they don't advertise and hence don't know they are good value now eg M3 for 40k and also the cars look like something out of that Disney movie "Cars" with those big front bumpers, they look horrible, except for maybe the M3P

Most people would prefer a RAV4 or Tucson or Corolla anyway

• Advertisement

Advertisement