Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anybody ever bought land without a solicitor?

Options
  • 02-02-2023 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Hi, I'm in the process of buying a plot of land (in a residential area).

I'd be paying the property cash (no mortgage).

The seller is selling the property through an estate agency.

Is it possible to avoid hiring a solicitor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭spupazza

Forgot to ask: without a solicitor what tasks would I have to take apart from signing the contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Bought and sold a lot of property over many years. The fact that you don't know what you must do should be the biggest indicator that you need a solicitor. When buying a property or land you may also be buying other responsibilities and covenants, the seller may not even be aware of them. Your solicitor will hopefully identify these. They also can establish if anyone else has any rights, claims, easements, wayleaves, or rights of way on the property. They will also advise you on what may have to be done in relation to establishing the boundary. If its a hedge, whose hedge is it, same with a wall or fence. Who owns the wall, who is responsible for it. None of these are major issues until there is a dispute or a problem.

I don't know how to do any of the above, but my solicitor does.

Solicitors and Accountants always seem like a waste of money. But I have never heard anyone say the regretted using one, on the other hand I could name several people that regret not having one on their side.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No. Unless you have legal expertise in conveyancing, land registry, contracts, planning, property law, deeds...

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You'd be insane for the sake of a couple of grand and I don't even think its allowed. We have a 2 year rolling lease on a commercial premises, I know the wording like the back of my hand but still get a solicitor to review the new lease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭spupazza

Thanks lads for the answers. I decided to hire a solicitor given the consensus

Advertisement