Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six Nations 2023 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭leakyboots

He's also on crazy money where players are being offered peanuts. I'm not saying that he should be voluntarily taking a paycut but if you're a player getting offered insulting levels of pay for professional rugby and your coach has been parachuted back in on monster wages, is ringing the changes weekly and, the final cherry, is also getting paid to write column inches in a national newspaper about you... all not being well in the camp is to be expected.

Welsh rugby really is in a very low place, and it doesn't look like there's any quick fix. Some very hard decisions to be taken.

Makes you appreciate the heady times we've had in the past 20 years at club and international level, I remember the 90s well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

wales have an incredible record in last 20 years ! someone just mentioned 6 championships and 4 grand slams that really shows up scotland badly

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It shows up everyone badly. They've been getting the big results in between seasons where they've battled for the wooden spoon despite a dysfunctional club game, a smallish pool of players an a woefully mismanaged union.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,561 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Anyone else catch the programme on telly last night focusing on the All Black - Welsh - Lions rivalry of the early 70's? Fascinating to see how much the game has changed.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The Welsh u20 team from 2008 had 6 future Lions on it along with several other players that had significant Welsh careers - That is a massive return from a single age group.

That "Golden generation" carried Wales through the 2010's but they are all now either retired or still playing but past it. Wales have never come close to regularly producing top level players since that single "anomoly".

Those players essentially allowed the WRU to ignore the obvious structural failings all around them as they would just point to a Grand-slam and say that everything was fine , when it absolutely was not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

The other issue with Gatland is that, as well as costing the WRU a fortune to bring back, his tactics are also hopelessly outdated and also unsuited to the players that Wales now have. Him ending up back there again is a disaster for the Welsh in pretty much every way possible. I'd be surprised if he stays long beyond the World Cup.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Will depend almost entirely on him though I guess. Would cost the WRU yet another fortune to get rid of him.

I think it's only a short term contract at the moment. There was talk of an option to go to 2027, but the initial contract was much shorter I think, possibly only covering up to the World Cup.

Apparently he's on about £600k a year. That would pay about 20 professional players in Wales based on the contracts they're offering lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I read that the WRU pump money into the amateur game and the clubs? If so, why are the u20's crap? They are so poor and have been since 2016. I expect the Italy u20 to hose the Welch tonite. Very dysfunctional system.

Unlike S.A, where player production is astounding and Bokke lads are good enough to play overseas, this isn't an option for Welch players.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Because they just give the money to the clubs to use as a slush fund . They aren't funding development officers and coaching camps etc. with that money.

The Amateur clubs then turn around and give a few hundred a week as boot money to all their players

There are millions of pounds being handed over in brown envelopes every season across hundreds of clubs to lads barely at the equivalent of J1 or J2 standard here.

It's just nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Thats a stupid argument. All unions pump money into amateur game and clubs but that doesnt mean players will be very good coming through to elite level. The south african school and age grade level is very good but not comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's stupid! It's not an argument. I SAID that I read this. I've no clue how the union distributes the funds. If the amateur game is getting a big piece of the pie, where's the results? Why are the u20's continously shyte?

Revenue generated by the regions can't be large? If the regions are not supported financially, what is the other options for the player? Do the accept a pay decrease?

I can't help but think the Wales team are going to be struggling to get up for this game. It has to be very frustrating seeing your friends and team mates being insulted and cheapened with paltry contract offers, having your coach point fingers at your team over failures and knowing that you are playing to not be last and nothing more.

Italy on the other hand are at home, have been getting good press and are on the up. The crowd will be expectant and loud. If Wales don't get on top early I think they could not only get beaten, but get badly beaten.

I see the odds have moved slightly in the last day or so and Italy are now favourites ahead of kick off. Probably the first time ever in the 6 Nations that they have been favourites for a game.

Their performances in the tournament this year are deserving of at least one win and they probably won't get it at Murrayfield, so hopefully they can do the job today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭scott1974

Andrew Trimble's shoes.. god lord...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Italy have a started very poor

• Registered Users Posts: 23,968 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

People tipping Italy by 8 or 10, with their only World class player absent, were mad.

Wales may be old and may be demoralised, but they're no fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭A-Train

Italy terrible so far, way too easy for Wales.

Italy doing their usual reversion to being Italy making a pedestrian Welsh team look good.

Two bounces go Wales way and two tries. Ref should have blown up with 2 medics on the pitch beside play as it forced Italy into a switch.

• Advertisement

Italy doing far more to create opportunities but no composure.

Was a support runner not taken out off the ball there?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭fitz

Yes, ref said he was happy that advantage was over for it. Wales were lucky there, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,552 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I think wales are just lucky here.

They are literally ahead because of the bounce of the ball, they are going backwards in the tackle and italy have carved them open twice.

If this luck runs out and italy get the final pass right the tide will turn

• Registered Users Posts: 13,638 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Wales shite rugby will probably win

Scoreline absolutely flattering Wales...if Italy can get a try in before half time, I think they'll kick on here. Look so much more threatening, just need to stop forcing it in the red zone.

That's super harsh obstruction call, Tipuric was in no position to tackle the ball carrier, and wasn't moving to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭crisco10

This is horrific, Italy miles better except can't score. Wales do nothing and get cheap scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,968 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ferrari Testarossa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Italy getting rode by the ref here

Advertisement