Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six Nations 2023 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Shehal

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Because Gatland and Wales are the exact same as this French side.

What an utterly pointless post comparing one of the worst squads in the 6N to one of the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Varney and Allan cost Italy the game today - France weren't properly tuned in and were there for the taking. Surely Italy can find a better scrum half than Varney in the short term - he's a 21 year old Welsh lad who, presumably, Wales took a pass on.

The French win might have been better from an Irish point of view though, I'm sure they'll be much improved next week either way, but the last thing we needed was them turning up in Dublin desperate to prove a point after losing to Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I laughed at my six nations whatsapp group as we all are now dreading Ireland possibly beating France next week as it will confirm that we have once again peaked too early in a world cup year and are going to crash out in the quarter final again. Nobody likes the idea of us going in as favourites.

:D

such a superstitious country sometimes.

To be fair I think Gatland had Wales as fired up as it was possible for that bunch of geriatrics to be. They were just nowhere near good enough.

I have a feeling today's game may be rewritten by the end of the year as one of those nonsensical turning point stories - "we were one missed tackle away from disaster against Italy in February, but we've won the World Cup in October" kind of things.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,464 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Your WhatsApp buddies haven't a clue.

It's possible for us to continue to build towards the rwc, even if we win a grand slam.

As martin Johnson says "do you think they want to lose games?"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

For the purist this was awful but it was an exciting spectacle on the television. Getting away from a less than less than stellar French performance, Italy were playing some of the best football that I've ever seen them out of them.

The forwards worked hard all day; there was a lot of decisive carries with the set pieces being solid platforms throughout. The backs backed themselves way more than they normally do and regularly caused a lot of hassle for the French without having had specific moments of saucers. And although they had several instances of kick away, this was happening after several phases of play and mainly to to try for position as distinct to them hitting the wall.

Yes, there were several instances of imbalance at half back but this is a younger team and they'll surely take that over years of imbalance from a 15 drawn from club journeymen in the European game. I hope that they are playing like this in late March as much for the sake of entertainment as anything but certainly it is abundantly clear that Italian investment into things behind the scenes are bearing rather rich fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Shehal

And if we lose the narrative will be Ireland peaked last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,638 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

after questioning ther worthiness in the 6 Nations only a couple of years ago, delighted now Italy have stepped up, making such progress at 20s too - very unlucky today , but in 2 short years now add so much to tournament

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Me thinks Edwards is going to flog that French pack in training this week. There is no way they'll be as bad next week.

Post edited by All_in_Flynn on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

We tanked in the 6 nations in 2019 and it didn’t help us much.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

There is a Garbisi junior who plays 9 is not a bad player. Garbisi the elder is expected back for the Ireland game.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Three away wins on the opening day. How often does that happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Six Nations Round 1 with Greig Laidlaw

6 NATIONS ROUND 1 REVIEW | ft @eggchasers

Gatland has fundamentally ripped up the Welsh team that we beat comfortably last weekend, only retaining 3 forwards from the starting 8 versus Ireland, and dropping Alun-Wyn Jones and Justin Tipuric from the 23 entirely.

Team:

Wales: L Williams; Adams, North, Hawkins, Dyer; Biggar, T Williams; W Jones, Owens (capt), Lewis, Jenkins, Beard, Tshiunza, Reffell, Morgan.

Replacements: Baldwin, Carre, Brown, Davies, Faletau, Webb, Patchell, Cuthbert.

His new back row of Tshiunza (21), Reffell (23) and Morgan (23) shows the youth movement, with Dafydd Jenkins from Exeter (20) coming in to replace the man who is old enough to be his father (AW Jones).

Looks like Gatland's Plan A for 2023 - drag one more year out of the old guard - is already in the bin after one game. A combined 15 caps across the starting back row for this weekend's game with Scotland and a two cap international in for AWJ. Is this going to be like Ireland v Scotland 2000 where he gave a new generation of quality Irish players their chance on the big stage, or is it just pure panic due to Wales not having the quality needed regardless of who they pick in the forwards?

Wales team v Scotland

15. Liam Williams (Cardiff Rugby – 82 caps), 14. Josh Adams (Cardiff Rugby – 45 caps), 13. George North (Ospreys – 110 caps), 12. Joe Hawkins (Ospreys – 2 caps), 11. Rio Dyer (Dragons – 4 caps), 10. Dan Biggar (Toulon – 104 caps), 9. Tomos Williams (Cardiff Rugby – 41 caps), 1. Wyn Jones (Scarlets – 45 caps), 2. Ken Owens (Scarlets – 87 caps) captain, 3. Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Rugby – 46 caps), 4. Dafydd Jenkins (Exeter Chiefs – 2 caps), 5. Adam Beard (Ospreys – 42 caps), 6. Christ Tshiunza (Exeter Chiefs – 3 caps), 7. Tommy Reffell (Leicester Tigers – 5 caps), 8. Jac Morgan (Ospreys – 7 caps).

Replacements: 16. Scott Baldwin (Ospreys – 35 caps), 17. Rhys Carre (Cardiff Rugby – 18 caps), 18. Leon Brown (Dragons – 22 caps), 19. Rhys Davies (Ospreys – uncapped), 20. Taulupe Faletau (Cardiff Rugby – 96 caps), 21. Rhys Webb (Ospreys – 37 caps), 22. Rhys Patchell (Scarlets – 21 caps), 23. Alex Cuthbert (Ospreys – 56 caps).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Worked pretty well when he did similarly with Ireland. Surprised he didn't call up Costellow instead of Patchell.

I've only seen small amounts of Dafydd Jenkins at lock, but he looks a quality player. He's played less than 20 games for Exeter, but has already been picked to captain them in a game back in November. Looks a real prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

That's a much better team than played us tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

The Six Nations has become more exciting across the board | GERRY THORNLEY & ANDY DUNNE

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Memories of Gaillimh with Stringer and O'Gara under his oxters during the anthem like a Mother Hen. Will be interested to see how Wales do

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Three changes for England - with Marcus Smith dropped, Henry Slade brought into the centre, Jack Willis in at openside and Lawrence to 12.

Arundell and Alex Mitchell onto the bench.

England XV 15. Freddie Steward; 14. Max Malins 13. Henry Slade 12. Ollie Lawrence 11. Ollie Hassell-Collins; 10. Owen Farrell (Captain) 9. Jack van Poortvliet; 1. Ellis Genge 2. Jamie George 3. Kyle Sinckler 4. Maro Itoje 5. Ollie Chessum 6. Lewis Ludlam 7. Jack Willis 8. Alex Dombrandt.  

Replacements 16. Jack Walker 17. Mako Vunipola 18. Dan Cole 19. Nick Isiekwe 20. Ben Earl 21. Alex Mitchell 22. Marcus Smith 23. Henry Arundell

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Is Ford injured?

I don't believe so. He's not even the third 10 in the squad though; Borthwick called up the young lad from Northampton, Fin Smith.

much, much better team for england

lawrence and Slade were my centre pairing choice for a while now.

willis is class and will do his best to ensure fast ball. Dombrandt is best used in midfield bashing holes, rather than hitting first out from rucks. i fancy this english team to win with a TBP. They may not beat the spread as their defense will be tested, but i expect them to hit the 40 point mark at twickenham.

england 42 - 25 italy

As far as I know he played his first match in ages last weekend so wasn't fit when the 6n squad was announced.

Gatland has done the right thing here. I think Wales were going to struggle in Scotland either way, but at least they're building towards something now. I think with the new combinations the pack is going to be finding their feet for a second week in a row but you'd hope the backline will show a bit of cohesion.

Will be hoping for a Wales win here. If we get past France that will put everyone else on one loss.

• Advertisement

Anyone watching Scotland Wales?

Not much to write home about so far.

Advertisement