Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exemption from planning - garage to front of house

Options
  • 02-02-2023 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭

I have a detached garage which is situated to the front of the house. I know that is not the norm but it works well on the site & was part of our original grant of planning for the house, and has been built in accordance with planning.

The garage is approx 5m wide and 7m long and is located approx. 10m in front of the house and is situated to one side. I would ideally like to extend the garage to the rear by another 5 metres - i.e. to make it approx 12m long. This would still leave a gap of 5m to the house. This extension to the garage could also be built as a separate structure- i.e. with a carport separating the two garages.

I understand I can 'build without planning, 'a garage as long as it does not extend out in front of the building line and has a floor limitation of 25 sqm'

Is the building line I wonder considered as the building line of all structures - i.e. the building line of the garage that is already built, or would it be the building line of the house itself? If so can I build either an extension to the existing garage or a new structure adjoining it without going for full planning?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,535 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

you need to go for planning as you have already exceed the 25 sq m allowance for a garage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭Casati

doesnt matter:

1. No such structure shall be constructed, erected or placed forward of the front wall of a house.

2. The total area of such structures constructed, erected or placed within the curtilage of a house shall not, taken together with any other such structures previously constructed, erected or placed within the said curtilage, exceed 25 square metres.

3. The construction, erection or placing within the curtilage of a house of any such structure shall not reduce the amount of private open space reserved exclusively for the use of the occupants of the house to the rear or to the side of the house to less than 25 square metres.

4. The external finishes of any garage or other structure constructed, erected or placed to the side of a house, and the roof covering where any such structure has a tiled or slated roof, shall conform with those of the house.

5. The height of any such structure shall not exceed, in the case of a building with a tiled or slated pitched roof, 4 metres or, in any other case, 3 metres.

6. The structure shall not be used for human habitation or for the keeping of pigs, poultry, pigeons, ponies or horses, or for any other purpose other than a purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the house as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭Casati

Humm thanks but the wording 'such structure' is open to interpretation maybe - i.e. I would have thought that as that whole section is referring to exempted garages/ car ports etc, that 'such structure' referred to a structure built specifically as an exempted development - but I guess your reading of it is that 'such structure' = any structure build bar the house?

So as well as not being able to build my extension to my garage you are saying I couldn't even build even a 1 sqm shed behind the house without planning? Thats a bit of shock!

"such structure" refer to the class of development:

CLASS 3

The construction, erection or placing within the curtilage of a house of any tent, awning, shade or other object, greenhouse, garage, store, shed or other similar structure.

its all here: https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2001/si/600/made/en/print#sched2

• Advertisement
Advertisement