Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automatic/electric gate

Options
  • 02-02-2023 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi folks,

Went through a quotation process with a local provider for automatic/electric gates, and the below is what they're quoting.

I'm clueless about this kind of thing, and trying to find anything online of what might be expected to pay, is throwing up all kinds of differing information.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭kub

So they are making the gate, fitting it and automating it with video intercoms etc.

That price seems about right to me.

I would query what the € 16.50 per month covers exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Is this not a regulated service now with certain insurance/maintenance requirements, brought in after some child got mutilated in one?

and

They also need listing on home insurance so the maintenance piece is not surprising

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭kub

Thank you.

I am well aware of plenty of incidents with automatic gates and also I am well aware of the dangers of same.

I am only professionally working on them for 30 odd years now.

Go onto the HSA site and have a look at their criteria while you are at it.

Safety is where it is at now with auto gates and the cost of fitting and servicing them have raised substantially over the last few years.

The reason I queried the €16.50 per month is that I am wondering is this just a break down call out service, a full maintenance periodic inspection or is it a full maintenance periodic inspection with also the inclusion of necessary replacement of any faulty components.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Pluckie

I believe it's a monthly payment to cover an annual call-out, to provide preventative maintenance, if needed.

Will investigate further

Thanks folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Is the gate price itself separate?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I would definitely shop around if I were you, it is quite a crowded market. Talk to others that have electric gates and see who they recommend. The standard of installation varies considerably, part of the issue is that there is no formal qualification or training required for this work.

Before proceeding with a particular company it would be best to seem some of their work first. Key to a good electric gate installation is properly hung gates as they put less stress on the motor. For this reason, if I were getting electric gates I would first focus on identifying a company that makes and hangs high quality gates. Most of these companies will have a prefered installer, or they will have someone in house. This also has the advantage that in the event of problem the customer can go back to one company with all issues (rather than having two companies blaming each other).

Also when using underground motors (generally considered the best) it is important to ensure that the boxes that house the motors have really good drainage. I have seen a number of motors fail because the motors have been submerged in water for extended periods. Also I have seen some installers join cables in this box which has resulted in short circuits. I remember replacing quite a few of these back in the day.

Also intercoms have moved on considerably in recent years, so watch this one closely too. Digital intercoms with video are becoming cheaper and more advanced.

Now many are opening their gates with their smartphone. This has the advantage that a key fob is no required (cheaper and more convenient). Also the phone is always "in range" of the gates. There is plenty of discussion about this and lots of other related smart gadgetry (DIY CCTV etc..) on the Home Automation and IoT forum:

https://www.boards.ie/categories/home-automation-internet-of-things-iot?utm_source=sidebar_categories

As above, I have never heard of anyone paying a monthly fee for any gate related service (for a domestic installation). €16.50 per month works out at €198 a year! Properly installed electric gates should work very reliability for years requiring little more than a squirt of grease every once in a while.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Post edited by 2011 on

No - it's including in the overall price stated above.

Trust a Mod to come back with a humdinger of a response. Thanks very much for getting back to me with such detail and effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭John arse

I think that's kileen engineering in meath,i was looking at that recurring charge alright(was actually going to ring them next week),i wonder is that charge optional because it would put me off using them tbh,what's their guarantee for if you have to pay a monthly charge?,am in wicklow and will be shopping around.any recommendations or advice would be appreciated!.good luck👍

Advertisement