Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do burnt down buildings take so long to replace?

Options
  • 03-02-2023 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭

I'm going to give 3 local examples here in Athlone.

O Neills(2010) only finally planning to be replaced as part of a civic square

Charlie's and Grove pubs(2022). The rubble still there as if living in I am Legend.

Insurance is paid out etc. Why are these not being replaced with either a rebuild or something else. It seems madness

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

ok, somethng is up with boards... glitching

My post was: Maybe they aren't interested in rebuilding, just waiting for a buyer willing to pay their set price.

(awaits double post)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You don't know if the insurance has been paid out, it can take anything up to 10 years if contested one way or the other, including open claims from adjoining properties or a finding of under-insurance.

There may be an open criminal investigation.

The prior use of the building may not be viable to replace on a like for like basis and planning permission may be being sought for a change of use, or design.

The business in question (if it is commercial) may be suffering other losses that affect its viability and liquidity to restore the building.

The owner may just be wanting to sit on it or sell it.

Advertisement