Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In a panic over this Sheriff's letter!

• 03-02-2023 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9 howyanowmon

I owe an amount of money to the tax office - around €500 - that I received a letter in the post about recently after a few months out of the country. I immediately sent the sheriff's office an email asking to set up a payment plan - which they agreed to.

They said 'Let me have your proposal for payment of same and I will revert to you' - which I mistook to mean that the email requesting a payment plan was the 'proposal' and they would revert to me when they had an answer.

They just got back to me now, 3 weeks later with a 'Seizure Notice' saying that if the payment is not made immediately - I will proceed to seize your goods/assets without any further notice.

I got back to them immediately to try and clear the air - but it was closing time, and now they're not back to work until Tuesday.

My question is whether or not you guys think I can still set up a payment plan - if they'll understand that this was a simple mistake.

Also, what is the whole deal with the sheriff's office - should I be expecting them to land on my doorstep any day now? Or do I have time to get this sorted. I am prepared to begin paying instalments as soon as I hear back from them.

I'm in a total panic all of a sudden, so any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I hate to say it but I don't know how you could misinterpret what they said, its quite clear they asked for a proposal. All you had to do was write back and say €100/month for 5 months, job done.

That aside, how will they react now, well its unlikely they are coming over the weekend, ring them Tuesday, tell them you made mistake, grovel a bit and say you can start a payment plan today, you have amount you can pay today and you have the ability to pay that same amount every month after payday. They should take the easy route and say fair enough but it depends on whether they believe you did misunderstand the last communication or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,327 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

500 quid?

Tell them to get ****ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's the sheriff's office not a debt collection agency, they will seize goods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Coincidently I got the email below this afternoon from the Bailiff Service of Ireland.

"Despite a reminder letter and a reminder letter for the reminder procedure, you have unfortunately not paid the outstanding invoice. In a formal notice procedure (according to Enforcement of Law (Occasional Powers) Act, 1924), we have obtained an enforceable title against you from the competent court.

That is why the bailiff will visit you on February 6, 2023 to inventory your valuables. We have also obtained a search warrant from the court in your area

If you are not present on the specified date for no reason, a locksmith will be called in. We will charge you for the additional costs. If you object, the bailiff will call the police for support in making an inventory.

The only way to avert this measure is to transfer the outstanding amount of 231.39 euros immediately to our finance department!

Account holder: Bailiff Service Ireland

IBAN: IE89 PFSR 9910 7015 4826 60

BIC/SWIFT: PFSRIE21

Payment reference:

Amount: 231.39 euros

IF YOU HAVE TRANSFERRED THE OPEN AMOUNT PLEASE LET US KNOW BY EMAIL. WE CAN THEN IMMEDIATELY ADJUST THIS IN OUR SYSTEM."

As far as I know I don't owe anything and definitely have no recollection of ever getting letters or emails previously.

Seems more like a scam to me

• Registered Users Posts: 9 howyanowmon

Thanks for your reply.

Fair enough. I'll speak to them on Tuesday as soon as possible.

I guess I'm just worried they will take immediate action - but I have time to talk to them first, then that's all I need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,327 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm aware of that. I meant Revenue.

Apparently 500 quid attracts more punitive treatment than 500,000. Or 50 million.

Tell. Them. To. Get. ****ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭28064212

That does look like a scam, but I'm not sure why it's in this dicussion? OP hasn't suggested that there's anything even slightly scam-like in their situation

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Got that too. Same amount. They're getting sharper and sharper these scammers......

Check their website (bailifs.ie as opposed the the Sheriff's office in the OP)

PLEASE BE ADVISED WE HAVE BEEN MADE AWARE OF FRAUDULENT EMAIL CLAIMING TO BE COMING FROM US, WE CAN ASSURE YOU WE HAVE NOT ISSUED ANY SUCH EMAILS.

‘‘PLEASE DO NOT SEND ANY FUNDS TO THE BANK DETAILS PROVIDED ON THIS EMAIL’’

PLEASE REPORT THIS MATTER TO THE GARDAÍ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,477 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That is a scam.

OP they are more interested in it getting cash than goods so if you pay €100 on Tuesday and agree to clear the balance over an agreed period you should be ok.

Make it your priority for Tuesday am.

• Advertisement

OK that's refreshing to hear. Thank you.

Unless they throw a curve ball and arrive over the weekend for some strange reason i should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Its in this thread because the OP said he got notification effectively stating that the Sheriffs office( the Bailiffs) were going to do the exact same thing that they threatened me.

I would imagine that the Sherriffs office will not go to a "seize" situation without a lot of correspondence .

The OP has been in correspondence and with the Sheriff's office. This is a different organisation. Let's not muddy the waters. OP contact them early on Tuesday as advised. This is not a bluff or a scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Allinall

Yeah, no part of me is going to take this lightly.

I'll be in touch with them Tuesday and hopefully it'll be OK.

They just emailed me a moment ago (out of hours and all) and accepted a payment plan. Phew.

Crisis averted.

Thanks guys for your advice. It calmed for me for the few minutes i needed it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

So which part of "Let me have your proposal for payment" did you not understand? At this point you are dealing with professional debt collectors who have heard all the stories before, so this kind of nonsense is not going to fly.

Now to avoid any further confusion on your part, you should understand that "immediately" means exactly that, no hanging around wait for them to get back to you are anything else, you need to get down to their office and at a very minimum be in a position to make a very substantial payment on the debt and hope that they are willing to enter into a payment agreement on the rest and that the creditor (the Revenue in this case) is in agreement.

And yes once a notice has been issued you can expect to open the door to the bailiffs some day. They won't make a special trip to collect 500 Euros, they'll pop around next time they are in the area, which could be a day, a week or month for that matter. But they will come that you can count on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

A representative from Revenue is working after hours, on the Friday before a long weekend ???

Check the exact email address from which you are receiving correspondence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Yes, I got the exact same at 1.30ish today.

In a nasty coincidence, had just changed some details with Revenue last night. And the email had my old address (part) and my name spelled with a lower case incorrectly as per Revenue. Worrying. So reported it to them via MyCorrespondence as they may indeed have a leak (rare, but not unheard of).

But yes, its a load of gibberish. They're coming on a Bank Holiday. Yeah right. They couldn't have emailed before now, before getting their knickers in a twist? Yeah right.

And, as with you, my conscience is clear.

Post edited by An Ri rua on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Checking the email address won't do anything. It's trivial to fake the visible address.

However, the OP was the one who initiated the email contact. It seems very unlikely to be a scam, assuming the basic minimum of due diligience on OP's behalf

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

1. The Sheriffs aren't Revenue.

2. Revenue staff could well be working after hours unlikely after 7) but they would only, and the OP should only, correspond via MyCorrespondence. Never by email. They won't and you shouldn't.

Tread carefully OP. Do not send any funds or respond further until you talk to (ring) the Sheriff's office on Tuesday on the number of the original letter only.

Cheers for the follow-ups. It's the Sheriff's in Galway I'm speaking with, not Revenue - if that wasn't clear. Email address checks out also.

The amount I owed was definitely owed. So unless its one hell of a well-timed scam, I'm certain I'm in the clear.

Don’t assume or imagine… Having had experience of dealing with both sheriffs and a couple registers as well, when it gets to this point it is way past the point of correspondence and faffing around. These guys have one objective knock blood out of stones and you get then in when you are done with faffing around.

The OP is referring to a Sheriffs office, they don’t keep office hours, just as the people they are trying to deal with don’t.

There are only two sheriffs in Ireland - Dublin and Cork…. Are you sure it’s not the county registrar?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Normally for an amount of 500 or so Revenue will just allow for it in the next year's tax credits, no?

As regards working after hours, very many Revenue staff work at all sorts of hours from home. They are one of the more efficient departments.

I imagine you are. However, 'scams' can be fed inside info and therefore look and feel 90% true. Its not unheard of for leaks to have occurred in Revenue by any means. Or Sheriffs, County Registrars or DPPs. But on the balance of probability, unlikely. It depends on the stupidity of the insider rather than the victim, as the insiders invariably get caught and are often being leaned on. But once the detail is bang on, the victim is snared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Tow

Looks like a scam. Revenue will just reduce tax credits for small (~2000) amounts. The sortcode 99-10-70 is for a prepaid credit card company.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Advertisement