Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair product for men with longish hair?

Options
  • 03-02-2023 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I've been wearing a slicked-back undercut hairstyle for years but have been growing it out for the past few months to where it's at the length now where I'm tying it up in a bun/ponytail. I used to use matte clay and wax to style my hair in the slick-back but don't like using it now as it sets hard and is uncomfortable when tied up. Any recommendations on products to use that won't set solid but will still have enough hold to allow me to slick my hair back when it's tied up and not have flyaway hairs everywhere?

Cheers guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Skin fade to undercut, similar style.

I tried all the synthetic wax, gels etc.

I found by far the most boss appearance is from natural oils.

For good strong hold I like a combination of Castor Oil (from a recommendation on this forum), and a little olive oil to make it a little more fluid.

Buying castor oil, make sure to order ORGANIC, cause synthetic ingredients can damage hair (available off amazon).

Gives great hold, but doesn't harden so maintains manageability.

It's also super healthy for the scalp and hair condition, many use it to maintain thickness and as a leave in conditioner.

Since, I tried a combination of other oils as well - argon oil is cool (get it in Aldi/Lidl), Rosemary oil is a powerful antioxident so another excellent choice for scalp well being.

What I was going for was the "wet look", but with a product that doesn't "set" or go hard.

Oils have been the closest product I could find to getting that.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭Duff

Cheers for that, natural oils never even crossed my mind! I'll give them a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Yeah, they're awesome.

I started using them whilst I was bleaching my hair to restore strength - that was coconut oil.

If you watch the old "Godfather" films, it's the classic Italian/Sicilian way to style hair.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Duff,

Have you tried no product whatsoever for a 2 or 3 week period?

It can be challenging after a week for around 2 or 3 days. But if you stick with it your natural folicals should produce adequate hydration to ensure a balanced clean growth.

Don't get paranoid about the smell either, this passes , as long as you are wetting regularly in the shower your scalp will begin to cooperate with the extra growth. Keep brushing , avoid contact with you scalp and it should flow from there.

If you are not happy with results you can tamper with other methods, I have always avoided using too much sham with long hair, it works.

Don't let the smell get to you, this passes,.

Enjoy.

Advertisement