Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illness benefit to disability benefit

• 03-02-2023 8:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Hi, wondering if anyone can guide me. I've been on IB for 9 months now awaiting spinal surgery. I won't be returning to work for about 3 months after surgery, but as yet I don't have a date.

I've noticed there Is another allowance called disability benefit. Can someone who knows more about this please in form me, and should I be looking towards this benefit rather than illness benefit. I have read disability benefit should be looked at approx 1 year of sickness.

What are the benefits or cons to this switch.

Post edited by gazzaman22 on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭hawthorne

The "other" benefit is not a benefit- but an allowance. It is called disability allowance and you find it here:

Disability Allowance (citizensinformation.ie)

Main difference to IB: It is a means tested payment. Besides a medical test you also have to disclose your financial situation and face a means test. DA is the most difficult payment of all payments to get. And you have to wait for 6 months or so for a decision. A large percentage of applicants are turned down- and you have to go for an appeal. Sets you back another year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

If your unfitness for work for any reason becomes more long term then you’d expected then you need to apply for Invalidity Pension. I second everything Hawthorne has told you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gazzaman22

Ah okay, so there is no need to panic yet about moving to it. I just didn't really grasp it. Thought it might be better for stamps or what ever reason people would switch. I'd go in the morning for the operation to try and get back to normal.

Thanks for info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Perfectly answered 👌

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement