Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace calving camera

Options
  • 03-02-2023 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I have an ip camera wireless with the cows which I top up with 20e credit each month and it worked grand till this year

Now the camera is working but I can't move it with my phone it won't twist or tilt but the picture is working.

I'm not a tech head

So could I buy a cheap ip camera off the Internet and just plug it in

I don't fancy ringing my man to call out and have to give him 3 or 4 hundred euro to do the job .

I have a Vodafone phone dongle in the shed and my app on my phone is sricam

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

What brand is it? If it is a big name brand it might be serviceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jd06

I'm actually not sure I'll find out tomorrow. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

To answer your question though - yes, you could replace it. The sim should fit fine. If it was put in by a professional installer, likelihood is that it is Hikvision or something like that. Throw up the brand name and someone will know what to do. Might be the motor has gone or needs a clean out.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Centrepassage

Kerry agri are doing a good camera for €120. Simple to install. Just download the app and follow the instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Centrepassage

• Advertisement

It's actually a sricam camera too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭emaherx

I guess Sricam is the brand (or Possibly a re-branded variant) https://www.sricam.com/, some of the usual bottom end generic camera manufactures from Shenzhen China. But their website says they have upto 12 year warranty! Perhaps that could be worth exploring. I'd be wary of any installers who provide brands like this, they are fine for DIY installs where you accept they they may well fail after a few seasons but installers should be installing quality gear and I'd suspect there was a considerable markup from the unit price for installing.

You can absolutely replace the camera yourself and probably should if sticking with the DIY brands, if you go with an installer go with one who installs better quality kit.

Smartlife is an app used by products running Tuya firmware but manufactured by thousands of different brands, usually the bottom end of the "smart-home" market, everything from CCTV to smart switches/light bulbs/kettles/toasters and all manor of other cheap consumer appliances, if I'd a €120 to spend on one camera I'd have a good look at what other CCTV brands have to offer for comparison. On the other hand to be fair to Tuya/Smartlife products, there is one app to control them all and they are usually straight forward for DIY installs.

Thanks for all the info

Got quoted 300 e for a new camera and installation. Neighbor called over and he bought 2 cheap cameras for 80 each off amazon.

He swears by them but he takes them down and puts them in the hot press when not in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Buy a reolink 5mp one of amazon.

Advertisement