Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Cards

• 04-02-2023 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Can you get a credit card if your on disability allowance or a part-time job ? Also I recently came across an advert on youtube for a mastercard creditcard, called viabuy. Just wondering if anyone has tried this ? Is this a legit service ? Id like to sign up for it to have me own credit card, instead of using my fathers credit card.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭apkmbarry

Anyone can get a credit card.

Won't be much of a limit on it, which would mean it'd probably be better to just save the money and use your debit card.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Anyone can apply for a credit card, whether you are accepted and the amount of the limit if you do get one will depend on your circumstances and policy of the card issuer.

While I can understand your desire for independence, you need to be aware of the costs that come with that independence - government levies, taxes, card fees, FX commissions, interest and penalties on late payments. So make sure you understand the costs you are committing to paying before you sign up.

If your dad is happy to let you free load for another while, you might find something else to spend 30 Euro on rather than a credit card tax. On top of this your limit might be very low and depending on your intended usage, it might not even suit you.

I'm not familiar with ViaBuy, but a quick look at their site tells me they are not for you. It is not a credit card which is what you wanted, it's just a debit card similar to what you should be able to get from your bank in any case. And in my opinion the are expensive if you look at their prices and keep in mind as they point out in much smaller text - that is only their fees, you could still end up paying additional fees depending on where you use their debit card. I have an aversion to these kind of companies because they basically target people like yourself - people on fixed incomes, low incomes and so on that don't have access to other financial services, they entice you in with questionable advertising and then charge you through the nose for what little they provide.

Have you investigated the possibility of using a debit card or prepaid card attached to Apple Pay/kGoogle Pay/Paypal etc?

Advertisement