Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cannot see mouse on windows 7 laptop

• 04-02-2023 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hi. today I bought a second hand laptop. It is a toshiba pro. But it's running windows 7.

I was warned that it would be slow for the internet, but I still wanted to try it out.

My reason for buying it, was to watch offline videos and play music, when I go on holidays, hopefully

later in the year.

When I got home, I connected an external mouse from my desktop computer which runs wiindows 10 to the laptop. It seemed to work. Now I'm not so sure. Note, the touchpad on the laptop had been working before. I opened up youtube. it asked me to sign in. But I had to find my google password.

To do that, I had to disconnect the external mouse from laptop and put it back in desktop, so that i could open a file containg my passwords.

That done. i started typing in my username on the laptop. But when I got to the @ symbol, the key on the kepad did not produce the desired result. So I desided to copy the sybol from a web page to the password page on youtube. The only problem was I couldn;t figure out how to select the symbol with the mousepad. So i decided to use the external mouse again. Only this time, the cursor did not appear on laptop screen. I disconnected mouse, and tried touchpad. But that is not working now either. ie, external mouse or touchpad show no cursor.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is it still the same if you restart it?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭steve66

Yes. i have tried that and various combinations. I'm not sure if there was one before. But there is no light on the mousepad.

Apologies. Computer is Windows 10. Label on back say 7. But system information 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,708 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'm guessing the keyboard is set to US by default, if you hold down Shift and 2 on the main keyboard is will produce the @ key.

For the mouse issue have you tried plugging the mouse in to one of the other USB ports on the laptop? Do this after restarting.

Thank you very much. Shift 2 worked.

Unfortunately, the laptop has only one USB port.

I will try logging into youtube again.

• Advertisement

Got into youtube, thanks again.

Advertisement