Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPU upgrade for 1080p

Options
  • 04-02-2023 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭

Background:

The PC i have was pretty good in 2012 and not really used it much in the past few years, as became a console Pleb :P

Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Intel Z77

16GB Samsung Green DDR3

XFX 850W Siver Plus

780Ti

1TB & 500GB SSD

I understand the 3770K will bottleneck any powerful GPU and the 1660 Super or a 3050 is what i should be looking for i think?

I read that the Intel GPU's got a nice driver update and that AMD has improved a lot since 2012, but i would still like to stay with Nvidia (possibly a wrong choice)

So essentially just looking for something under 350-400 to tide me over to when/if i upgrade

1080p gaming at a solid 60FPS would suffice (have a 144Hz 1080p monitor) more FPS would be nice but required

Paying a little extra to future-proof would be an option for sure, just out of the loop since 2015, regarding PC Gaming.

Not looking to play the latest battlefield or the like, just Doom Eternal and some FPS's (aiming with a controller in FPS is awful after years of KB & M :P )

So after all that Spiel, best bang for your buck Nvidia GPU to pair with a 3770K (4 cores, 8 threads)

Any store links would be welcome

Thank you for reading guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Coyler

Arc (Intel GPUs) are not a good idea as you need resizable bar to get the best performace and that's not supported with your CPU/MOBO

If your heart is dead set on brand new the 6700xt and 3060ti are your best choices. If €400 is an absolute hard limit then it's really the 6600xt, hands down.

I'd also point out that for 1080p60 you'd find a lot of 580 8GB/1060 6Gb second hand in adverts selling at the €100 mark and CEX for a little more but that includes warrenty. These would be more than enough to drive 1080p60 is 99% of games for the time being. I'd argue that future proofing never works and you should just buy for want you need right now. This hold especially true with the current state of the GPU market and it's over inflated prices. And you could end up pay hundreds of euro extra for hardware that you never actually see the benefit for one reason or the other.

So, gun to my head, a second hand 580 8GB. Actually got one recently for one of my kids desktops and they've been playing a ton of games on it with their Game Pass. Choose the 580 over the 1060 for the higher VRAM. Not a hitch. €100 it cost me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Many thanks for taking the time to reply, Coyler.

Cheers for ruling out Intels GPU as an option. Was not aware of BAR

You make some good points. Why overpay is a great one.

Buying a second hand GPU is not something i have ever done (PC gaming since 1998), but at least with CEX one has a warranty i guess. Unless it was someone who posted here i would not trust adverts personally.

Will look at CEX, but still leaning towards brand new

EDIT: will look into 6700xt and 3060ti , thank you!

Post edited by moonboy52 on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

A couple of years back I saw a test of budget graphics card with older systems. The more vram on the card helped with older systems. Whereas newer systems aren't held back with less vram. Not sure if that still applies today.

That was a couple of years back though. Card shortage is still the same though.

Depends what specific games you're using it for I guess.

Thank you for the advice all.

I may be flogging a dead horse with a 10 year old PC.

Might be time to just buy a new PC. Lot to ponder.

Coylers advice to buy second hand makes the most sense for sure as a stopgap. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I would say at this stage you'd want a full new PC. An i7-3770 is going to bottleneck the hell out of the cards being mentioned here in a lot of newer games, including an RTX3050.

A 3060Ti or 6700XT would be a total waste of time realistically, especially on a 144hz monitor, unless you're only playing older games, but then why would you need a powerful card for that. Something like an RX580 8GB can be gotten cheap 2nd hand and be grand for the likes of Doom Eternal at 1080p high settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The only thing is you can take the GPU to the next machine.

Just to follow-up.

Bought a 1080 FE from adverts for a little over 200. (card was pristine and like new)

The AMD 580 was sure tempting. A guy on Adverts was selling one for 100 shipped.

Went with the 1080 as it was a blower card and my case is a Silverstone Fortress FT02, which has the mobo rotated 90 degrees so the air is blowing out the top, which suits a blower type well. My 780Ti was a blower style as well.

There was some talk online about some non blower type card that do not work effectively rotated upwards. Probably was not the case for the 580 but did not want to taklke a chance, and the FE looks smexy :)

Advertisement