Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have difficult tenants who refuse to leave - not registered with RTB - what's my situation?

Options
  • 04-02-2023 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1

hi- i am owner of a cottage in county cork - i live in london and i have had it let out for about 10 yrs to tenants- for about 7years the Housing Benifit paid full rent until i increased rent by 120e month about 3yrs ago - the rental charge is about 40% less than market value but that didn't bother me - so they would pay the extra rent out of there pockets and now and then they supposedly do some repairs and deduct from extra rent - fair enough- i been nothing but fair and kind to tenants over the years- in feb 2022 i spoke to one of tenants and sadly informed them i would be given them notice to vacate i also informed them via email ,by the way they are middles aged couple with a couple of grown up sons- we agreed that the following Oct 2022 they would leave so in july i emailed them to find out how the move was going only to be inform that it would take longer and a more confrontational tone was in there emails- also they inform me that i would have to go through RTB and that they were intitled to 9months notice -this was the first time i heard about that organisation- the tenants just strung me along and were getting beligerent.I went down the offical route and in August 2022 i sent tenants offically notice to vacate and sent copy to RTB - this would give then and extra nine months stay- the he tenants then stopped paying the extra rent 120e -when asked why they said they wanted to put it towards cost of moving -, that's kind of them- some months passed and i realised that by not paying the extra rent that they were in breach of their tenancy aggrement so by RTB rules i gave them 28 days notice to pay outstanding rent which they ignored so then i was in position to give them 28days notice to vacate property which has passed and they failed to leave. I have sent copies of notices to RTB with proof postage etc- I have received contact from RTB informing me that they are aware of situation- I now realise that i never registered the tenants with the RTB.So i am wondering what position i am in? Is the who thing null and void? Also the last two tenancy aggrements is out of date as whole rental was very casual basis .

any info anyone can give m ei much appreciate it- thanks- richard

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Aside from being so massively off-topic, legal advice is banned site wide. The OP needs to consult a solicitor, and this is being locked to protect everyone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement