Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage query and declined direct debit

• 04-02-2023 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I own a house and have a mortgage with AIB which is always paid on time. A great house has come up on the market and myself and my husband have applied for a mortgage. He has really regular savings and his account looks in great order. I pay the mortgage and bills as the house is mine so understandably I have much less savings. We have a good deposit and will make a good profit off my place when we sell leaving us with approx 200,000.

Problem is we are applying for a mortgage quite unexpectedly so I haven’t kept my account in tip top order the last six months {the way I would if I knew we would be applying for a mortgage}. The one issue I think the banks might have is an unpaid direct debit that has bounced 5 out of the last 6 months for a part time course I do. I always pay for the course a few days later but I hadn’t managed my accounts adequately to transfer money from another account in time for the direct debit that is taken out. This is no issue with the course I am doing and I am up to date with payments. I am aware that the bank may view it differently?

Despite all the positives above, will this massively go against us?

thoughts appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭listermint

See what the bank say and explain it to them. If you have the money elsewhere they'll see that in those accounts too.

It's done now so you can't go back in time. Just plough on with application and answer honestly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Those bounces cost you about €20 every time too.

It will be seen as a red flag if you apply to the same bank.

I'd avoid applying to that Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nat2178

I should clarify... the direct debits for the part time course that bounce are to the college (its not a loan from a bank).. not sure if this will make a difference. I could have paid the college per year or monthly by direct debit ...i chose to pay monthly by direct debit

I have applied for a mortgage to AIB again as I have a good track record for making the mortgage repayments with them

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You'll just have to wait and see what their decision is.

Advertisement