Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15mm to 12mm TA fork conversion?

Options
  • 05-02-2023 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

i have a older CX bike circa 2016 with 15mm TA dropouts.

I am looking for a conversion kit for fork to allow for 12mm TA's.

anyone done similar?

dont want to spend big bucks which would essentially be the price of a new fork as in video above.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I used that conversion kit back in around 2019, but it was significantly cheaper - might have been around $35 but didn't include the new through-axle which would make up most of the difference.

If you have access to someone with a lathe who will machine aluminium for free, you'll do it cheaper but I'm not aware of any bodges to bring the price down. I did look at helicoils for the threaded side but workshop time plus parts plus the risk of someone making a balls of it meant that buying the kit was better all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

There's a lad in the US who makes these, the issue is every company uses different thread sizes and axle lengths so a 15mm thru axle on my bike won't fit yours for example so it's hard to make generic ones. If they do exist it's usually for several bigger brands.

I looked into this because my Canyon road ebike uses a 15mm thru axle (presumably from their left over parts bin because 12mm has been standard for years now) and I have limited wheel options but I had no way to measure the tread depth. Can't seem to find the post at the moment but it was on an ebike forum. Ended up just getting wheels that supported 15mm.

Advertisement