Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One person, 23k complaints

Options
  • 05-02-2023 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭

One individual was responsible for almost 90% of all complaints about noise from aircraft using Dublin Airport last year – filing a daily average of 64 incidents with the airport operator, DAA.

The serial complainant, who had been reporting claims of excessive noise from aircraft taking off and landing at Dublin Airport on almost a daily basis since 2019, lodged a total of 23,431 complaints in 2022

obviously has little to be doing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

They dont have a job obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm fairly sure there was a lengthy thread about this person before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Pardon me KH, but that person should be classified as a ‘knucklehead’. ^__^

I’ll get my jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Yeah I think they want the title for most complaints every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's almost certainly an automated complaint. Something like a raspberry pi set up to an acoustic meter and an email server that fires off these complaints every time the threshold is breached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

that's 64 per day.

Copy previous email (same one being used for the last number of years), open new email and paste.....add email address (customerexperience@dublinairport.com) and send.

You could easily do 64 emails in 15/20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,429 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Write a script and forget about it. Let it run away there itself shooting off emails

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Someone got prevented from making further complaints about some UK airport as his script failed to account for cancelled flights and objected to noise from flights that never happened. Only became obvious during an airline strike I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,429 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'd imagine some of the flight tracking websites have APIs you could easily use.....or even scrape their sites intermittently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Does he need an annual thread? Presume it's the same guy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Wonder is it one of the current affairs regulars lol

• Registered Users Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I live maybe 2 kms from this guy's given location, as the crow (or apparently the A340 with original CFMs) flies.

I do notice aircraft noise. About once a week. On the 28L climbout in the morning. If the weather is still or there is a gentle following breeze from the north/northeast, which there isn't if 28L is in use for departures. In other words hardly ever.

I can see aircraft on the 10R approach in the distance, from my upstairs windows, but never hear them. Ever.

So even if there were a regular amount of aircraft noise, I still wouldn't have much sympathy with the complainant, because we live in a City and its never intrusive.

But there isn't, so chappy is clearly mentally disturbed in some fashion and I don't see why DAA people should have their time wasted in this fashion.

A permanent injunction should be granted to the Authority, against ever having to receive correspondence about noise from this character, ever again. Because its gone far beyond amusing.

I think it depends. If he has 20k records where noise levels exceed those permissible, well then he is absolutely entitled to complain 20k times.

That's the question really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It would depend on how their equipment is calibrated. The fact that noisy aircraft are banned from the EU and they are flying approved approaches and departures would imply that their equipment may be faulty.

@Larbre34 All mail systems allow rules. They'll have a rule set up for the persons emails to go to a folder. No one is going to read 60 emails a day from the same person.

Post edited by Tenger on

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

It almost sounds like a bot. Why does the taxpayer funded complaints system facilitate this type of madness? Yes, make a valid complaint about noise but allowing 1000s to be recorded for official statistics makes a mockery of any noise impact gauging initiative. There should be a one complaint per day per person maximum allowed.

It would be like having a survey where people respond to whether they love Marmite. 1000 people would say no but if i voted 99000 times saying I love it then the results show 99% of Irelands population love Marmite....meaningless!

I live in the area too and apart from hearing the odd passing flight that is no noisier than a bin truck or someone putting out their wheely bin, it absolutely is not a noise pollutant in the area. Clearly an individual with OCD or other mental health issues...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

TBH I reckon it could be as simple as one lunatic sending a daily email copying and pasting the list of Dublin flights for that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Karppi

Please explain your comment, “tax payer funded complaints system”.

“It would depend on how their equipment is calibrated”?? What? It’s more pertinent to say “it depends on how the complainants ears are calibrated”!

I didn't know that DAA have a live noise portal.

Very interesting

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I can say without fear of contradiction that noise limits are not broken by aircraft over or near Ongar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭plodder

In fairness, if he wants to make a complaint, it should be made by him personally and not by a bot he has created. It's fairly ridiculous to be treating noise complaints made by software bots the same as real people.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Could the DAA take this person to court for harassment or get an injunction to stop them sending automatic communicatios?

If a company was doing this to an individual they would be in serious trouble with massive fines, why can't an individual be fined for harassment of a company?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

agree - but it'd be a nice PR gesture for DAA (maybe better if it was the IAA) to offer to calibrate his equipment, or set up a similar station near him and confirm or deny the accuracy of his claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

I think if ever became this bitter, twisted and sad I'd shoot myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Out of curiosity, can the acoustic meter be triggered by a noise other than that of aircraft or do aircraft have a distinguishable acoustic fingerprint ?

I've known older systems to be triggered by a nearby cow. But the system that the airport has is very sophisticated, and the outputs can be viewed here

https://webtrak.emsbk.com/dub1

The noise monitor you bought and installed in your back garden will not be as sophisticated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,628 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

The solution - allow only complaints sent by registered letter, strictly one letter per complaint.

€1.35 at the moment, plus cost of envelope and paper, not to mention biro(s) or printer ink.

Sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

DAA should just block his emails and bounce them back, Nutjob

Advertisement