Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have I got this correct

Options
  • 05-02-2023 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

This is via an article in the weekend papers I'm not going to credit the journalist yet as the replies would be all about the journalist.

In Ireland of the 1950s or any decade up to relatively recently, a lot of people were poor, various levels of being poor, and the general consensus was thats just the way is it.

Moden (woke ) view many people in 1950s Ireland lived in poverty and poverty was something the state could do something about, so poverty was and is a choice society had made, poor people and their advocates started to speak of living in poverty and not about being poor.

So basically woke is taking something that in previous eras was considered just the way it is and then repackaging it as something else and telling people they have been exploited, in my example poor become poverty.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement