Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newry registry office

Options
  • 06-02-2023 10:00pm
    Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2

Getting married in newry in March. If anyone has been here before, is it possible to just ask 2 strangers to witness the wedding?

Just the 2 of us . Thanks

Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Try asking our Legal Discussion forum below:

https://www.boards.ie/categories/motors

I have started off the discussion by posting what I know, but there are practicing legal professionals in there who might be able to provide additional information.

Thanks.

Shield.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

The law for this is The Marriage (Northern Ireland) Order 2003, and it states that you need two witnesses who must be 16 or older. Bear in mind that the witnesses would not be recognised in Irish Law, which requires the ages of the witnesses to be 18.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/nisi/2003/413

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Invite two of your friends / family for a 'posh lunch, dress nice'.

Relying on strangers might be precarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

What you're saying is that if you get married anywhere in the world then the ceremony must be conducted in accordance with the rules which obtain in the Republic - I don't think that is correct. The general rule is that if the marriage is recognised as legal in the country where you get married then it will be recognised as a legal marriage here.

You are required to give three months notice before getting married in the Republic but if you rock up to one of those wedding chapels in Las Vegas, you can get married with almost no notice - some of them even do 'drive-thru' weddings. That ceremony will be recognised as a legal wedding by the state of Nevada, the other 49 states of the US and this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'd ask the registry office if they can supply witnesses, I'm sure they get asked from time to time. I would not ask two total strangers on the street, you wouldn't know who you'd be dealing with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement